This week has been one of the longest and strangest of my life.
I am not moaning - long doesn't necessarily mean bad, and strange is actually normal in our little corner of the world.
The week started off with me extremely depressed, mainly because my birthday loomed and I didn't want to think about it. I can get a bit weird and introspective at this time. I can look back and this is not always a good thing. If I have the correct colour glasses on the past can take a pretty hue which makes me smile and say "aaah" but this didn't happen.
I looked back, was thankful for the four healthy children and the patient man at my side, but then I took a disturbing turn and went off down a depressing path of "what if's" and "maybe's". None of it was very helpful, and then it accumulated with tears when I decided to empty my wardrobe. Unearthing the very tiny jeans you fitted into a few years ago is never very joyous, and a husband who keeps asking why they are in the charity shop pile when they are perfectly good (he hasn't changed shape since the day I met him) really doesn't help.
I locked myself in the bathroom for four hours, gave myself a metaphorical slap (OK, a physical one too) and went on.
My actual birthday was a Good Day. I got a fuss made of me and husband learnt a few years ago that children need to give their Mother a gift on her birthday or they start down a path of self loathing, so it was perfume bought in the Boots Christmas Sale and a Frankie Boyle DVD. Not once in my life have I claimed an interest in Frankie Boyle, but the birthday fairy thought I would enjoy it.
Then we were all packed into the car by husband, driven down the motorway for two hours, to arrive at a yard. It looked like a stables. My heart skipped a beat. Surely husband hadn't turned madman and bought a horse. Turns out he had become a madman, and bought the most rickety caravan in existence. This is because I moaned badly on our last camping holiday in which he and Shrek were very ill. Little did I know that the moaning would cost me so dearly.
Although I know nothing about caravans I am hoping to learn and learn quickly as it means I can go and live in Cornwall for the months of May and June.
I'm serious. All I need to do now is find the nerve to tow it.
7 comments:
happy birthday and good luck with the towing!
Hi Kelly,
Happy Birthday to you! I really hope this coming week is better for you.
I've tried to email you as I've got something to sent to you as part of Pay it forward, but I've not heard from you (perhaps my email just got lost in the crapness of last week) - but if you could email me with your postal address I could spread a bit of joy your way - certainly sounds like it would be good to send you a little gift!
(zoe.toft (at) kuvik (dot) net)
Hmmmm... maybe I should share that bit about "avoiding the path of self-loathing" with my husband - before it's too late for my children! :)
i don't know whether to say happy birthday, but i can say i know what you mean. i absolutely hate my birthday looming and as the years press on i find fewer desirable ways to mark it. my preferred option atm is to not mark it at all. i tried that and the children gave me hell when they found out. the year i planned a field walk and an indian meal was about the best, because the kids enjoyed both, then i did too.
but i think it is fantastic news about the caravan. i have reached the age for caravan envy. x
Thank you for the comments, I was feeling slightly bleak but now I am much better, all helped by a caravan that is so much nicer than originally thought :)
Belated happy birthday! The caravan sounds like it will be fun. How wonderful to just be able to up-sticks and play somewhere else :-)
What a strange, twisty-turny birthday! But even with the best of intentions I also do those, every year, without fail. Only I have never received a rickety birthday caravan. How excellent to be the captain of your very own. And, hey, happy birthday.
Post a Comment