Tuesday, 5 January 2010

yucky science once again

The dirty berties

Today my children asked for sweetcorn for tea. This is a little strange as two of them aren't really keen on it but I thought they were broadening their taste buds, and besides, who am I to question the palate of a five year old whose favourite meal is cucumber, tomatoes and davidstow (and he knows if it isn't) cheddar?

There was lots of whispering at tea, and over the background noise of Radio 4 I couldn't grasp what was being said, until it was too late and I was presented with three clean plates and mumbling.

Me (trying not to sound suspicious): Did you like your sweetcorn?
Them (sounding completely suspect): Yes, thank you.

A Pause, OD is positively bursting to tell me what they are doing, so she does so in one long sploosh:

"My book said that you can see sweetcorn in your poo because it doesn't get digested so we wanted to see if this was true and if it is who has the best body for digesting and who would get them out quicker. It's science."

Yuck.

3 comments:

Grit said...

fantastic! don't the best scientists carry out experiments on themselves?!

mamacrow said...

they're quite right by the way. Todlers don't digest sweetcorn, raisens or grapes. All will turn up (especially when not chewed particularly well) whole and ready for use again (apart from the fact they are in a turd, of course)

what I didn't and don't know, is if the more mature digestional tract and better mastication is more effective, so I'll be interested to hear their results actually!

Stephanie said...

lol - Love that!
That's awesome that they were thinking, "oh, yeah, we gotta try this out!!" :)

Wanted to stop by to welcome you to Growing Naturally!
:)

Stephanie