Friday, 8 January 2010

library books and tarty chooks

The joy of snow is slowly wearing off. This is a good thing because it means that the children are not waking up at 6 a.m. begging to go out and play in it. This probably has much to do with the fact that our neighbours schooled children have gone back to school today, so there is no other children nearby to throw snowballs at or build snow forts with.

So, we are snuggling down with our recent library loans. We've read the first in the Spiderwick Chronicles which inspired a whole day of searching for boggarts and hobgoblins and other oddities in the house. We also went made and bought a whole load of old books - they were only 10p each and I spent £3.40. I'll leave it to you to work out how many books I had to lug home. I just can't resist a bargain, especially a book related one.

Then there was Pretty Pru. With this story, it's like Polly Dunbar has got inside my five years old head and found the perfect image to make him laugh, and laugh, and laugh. It is the illustration of a pig wearing mascara.

Knowing that this book was not one of our bargain buys and has to go back to the library, MB was frantic to capture the memories forever, so we had a go at drawing the characters. The results were mixed: (You'll need to click on the images to see them properly)


Then, because he was missing it, MB made the sun:


4 comments:

Sam said...

Good find with the second hand books - but I don't envy you getting them home, lol.

I love the little rabbit - tiptoe? Sooo cute! But my favourite is MB's sun. What a brilliant idea. I need one of those for gloomy days too :-)

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Love to see the children creating alongside the Mama!! I love, love, love used book sales and oftentimes use children's books from the 1950's and 1960's in my collaging.

I look forward to getting to know you through CED2010.

Leah said...

love the drawings and your son's paper sun!

sunnymama said...

How lovely to make the sun! I'm just calling by to let you know that you are the winner of the Why Love Matters Giveaway at my blog.

http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.com/2010/01/why-love-matters-giveaway-winner.html

Congratulations! Please would you email me (there's a 'contact us' link in my sidebar) with your postal address and I'll send the book to you. :)