Saturday, 16 January 2010

7+9= 16 (or EB and OB grow up)

My children are growing up. It is a sad inevitable fact. The are growing, changing, growing some more (why hello, stroppy nine.)

I want to stop, because, actually I like my children at exactly the ages they are. I like that DD is able to crack a joke dead pan, that she can go off and start a project all by herself, motivated by herself and inspired by a new favourite film. I love that she is still innocent - which I credit in part to our home educating lifestyle, and that she now plays intricate complicated games that her brothers can't always fathom. To her, the beauty is in the detail, the tiny little cups, the sliced bread and the touch-it-and-it-topples world that is Sylvanian Families, Playmobil and so many more.

And then there is EB, who still talks like a robot and lives in a parallel universe populated by spacemen, aliens, knights, dragons all built out of lego. EB is sweet in nature, completely without any side and totally confused by sarcasm from his big sister. This boy feels things deep and will well up with tears at a sad film. He is always on the side of the underdog, and will make new five minute friends wherever we go. He is a people magnet.

This year will be special for so many reasons, not least because it is the first one we have started with all of us at home, without pressures of school bearing down upon us. I hope that this freedom so precious will still be there in the future for you all to enjoy. I felt crushed when I overheard OD telling a friend how she may not have the choice to home educate her own because of the possible New Laws so she will have to move abroad to do it.

I treasure you all, but on each of your birthdays (which are, conveniently one after the other in EB's and OD's case) I look at you a little bit closer, and remember your entries into this world, and how you've grown from then, the milestones, the challenges and every thing inbetween. I realise how much I love you and how lucky I am to know you.

I will try and remember this tonight when the house is shaking from the sound of shrieking girls for your sleepover OD, and EB, whilst you drink enough Coke to melt you from the inside and eat every kind of junk food available at your special meal the next day.

I love you x.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Happy Birthdays to OD and EB.

Lovely post :-)