Saturday, 3 January 2009

Avoiding the cliche

I am trying not to do a predictions for 2009 kind of post but think it is going to happen anyway, so I may as well get on with it.

We had a lovely New Year (OH is scottish so we have a constant battle of what to call it - Hogmanay or New Years, it happens every year....) We lit a giant paper lantern on which we had written our resolutions. Mine was get fit and have more patience and OHs was to do more climbing and to stop swearing. The latter is quite timely as MB said an emphatic "bugger" the other day when he stubbed his toe and we both knew where that came from....

My other resolution is to try and write more coherent blog posts, as reading back I can see that they are more random thoughts all pasted together. So, better english and more thought for the future I promise.

Back to New years (bugger, already breaking the blogging resolution - gah! and the swearing one.) MB and Shrek didn't make it to midnight and both were tucked up in their beds around their normal times. OD and EB were awake and we watched the fireworks on the Thames. OD predictably commented on how much it must have cost and we could help so many people affected by the credit crunch (she loves saying that) instead. EB wanted to know if any one was going to die in the fireworks, which is also fairly predictable for him if I am honest.

I also sorted out my kitchen drawers. Tragically sad I know but I had bought a new drawer insert with a built in knife rack from that swedish shop and I wanted it to be done. So I did.

OH and I discussed taking the boys out of school again. He and I are both worried about whether EB would spend every waking minute glued to his PS2 so we have decided to wait until the February half term. I think we are delaying the inevitable which is for all of them to be home schooled, but it gives me a few weeks of time to plan for them. I like to plan, even if we don't follow the plan, at least I can say I tried.

In terms of home education for OD I am actually quite excited. We have made a list of English Heritage places to visit near by (all free - yaye!) that are in some way linked to the history project we are doing, which is learning all about local history and developing a time line to stick along the kitchen wall. We have booked all the eldest three onto all the weekend activities the local ranger team has to offer, as well as putting their names down for WATCH.

As science plays a big part in our lives (daddy is a geek.) We are going to have a grand unveiling of the chemistry set on Monday and work our way through the 100 experiments in the box, whilst keeping a diary to log results etc - sneaky hand writing and spelling practice in there too.

We are also going to go out for a family day to Oxford, because they have a heap of museums that cover every thing. Don't believe me? Then take a look yourself. I think there is more than one day out to be had here, and I really should have learnt my lesson from the Science Museum, London, where we spent the whole day on the third floor.

So, armed with a list of places to go that takes up two pages of A4, a map, a notepad, a huge diary and wallplanner , the internet and the invaluable resource that is the library, I think we will be flying high this year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if OD is a complete genius by the end of 2009. There you go, that's my prediction.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Love the idea of the paper lantern for your resolutions.
Sounds like your going to be delightfully busy this year - no time for playstation ;-)
Best wishes for the new year.

mamacrow said...

oh i hear you on the play station worries...

Roo (7)is fine, he can even handle having his gameboy in his room (passed on from his cousin, in case that makes us sound inapropriately rich!) a lot of the time, and sticks to the '20mins after lunch at wknds' guidline, even tho i said to him, 'i don't mind, so long as you're not playing it for too long, and it dosn't stop you doing what you need/are asked to do'.
He just seems to handle it just fine for a time, then goes back to wanting it to be put in the study...

Saurus (11) really can't handle it. He is better with his psp (he saved up and earnt the money for it - in case that makes us sound etc etc) he's gotten a little better in the last few months, and likes to watch a film on it in bed sometimes but really, the myth of them glutting for a bit and then getting over it - didn't happen for us. Saurus also can get a bit obsessed with the tv.

If they are getting to the point of grumpily demanding it all the time, talking only about tv and fussing whenever it's turned off, we go into TV detox - no tv unless it's the wknd.

we do relax all the rules sometimes, like this christmas hols for example, and find that we tend to watch more tv in the winter than in the lighter warmer months when we're still on the beach or whatever anyway...