We had the chemistry set out. I for one am not quite sure what we did, there was copper sulphate which turned from a blue liquid to a semi-solid and then in to a clear liquid. OD informs me that we caused the elements to precipitate. I will believe her. If you are interested, and I doubt you are, we mixed copper sulphate with sodium carbonate to create a copper carbonate solution. This is way too much like secondary school science for me, in which I spent most of my time etching other peoples names on the science bench instead of actually understanding the periodic table, but I am making an effort because it is OD's love. Is she normal? How many 8 year old girls do you know who are fascinated by all things scientific, electricity, magnets and world domination? (I made that last bit up.)
We also did a controlled experiment mixing salt and vinegar together, sugar and water together and then plain water. In each we dropped a dirty 2p coin, which we left for ten minutes and then assessed which had the best cleaning power. It was salt and vinegar combo, no surprise there for any devoted 'How clean is your house' fan. My mother bought me the book, as a hint no doubt.
The good news is the house is still standing after this first foray in to the chemistry set, the semi-bad news is that this has opened up a whole new load of why questions from OD. I have solved this problem by diverting her attentions to here and here.
Next week we turn our attentions to acids and alkalies. I am mildly concerned that the chemistry set only has one pair of goggles, and states that if you don't buy your own, you are very much on your own. Fingers crossed I am still here with both eyes in tact to blog next week.
5 comments:
'How many 8 year old girls do you know who are fascinated by all things scientific, electricity, magnets and world domination? (I made that last bit up.)'
well me, for one! I LOVED copper sulphate - we must have been about 9 when we were alowed down to the PROPER science lab for PROPER science lessons and we COULD ACTUALLY DO IT OURSELVES ! no watching the teacher do it, no in pairs and only getting to do half the process - oh I loved science.
I think I was the only one not scared to tears by the teachers - an older man who had taught in all boys schools all his life so you can imagine his style. He was hilarious in my view! RIP, he died at the end of last year after a particularly nasty battle with cancer, poor man.
excellent! squirrel would love this! yesterday she spent squirting fake blood from a horrible science plastic heart; today i have helped her make a cardboard planetarium. and isn't home ed wonderful when we grown ups can play as well?!
The things we have to do in the name of Home-ed!!
DD1 loves all those things - shes 9! I haven't been brave enough to open our chemistry set, in fact I hid it LOL!!
lisa x
Phew, glad she isn't alone. Now she really can set about world domination with a group of fellow home ed kick ass girls. Watch out world.
Post a Comment