We were so lucky, as we got out on the one and only sunny morning we have had in the past three weeks. Another highlight was finding three different kinds of poo (it was on this tick sheet.) One was definitely rabbit poo, the other two looked suspiciously like dogs, but it was decided by our in house poo exper (OD again) that it was fox and deer. (It really wasn't.)
We even managed to meet up with some other HEers at the local play area, which was also fun. The kids ran around in a deserted play area whilst we all splurged on gigantic hot chocolates with masses of whippy cream. The kids got water - evil aren't we !?!
The not fun bit was the constant nagging guilt that whilst I was doing all these fun activities with my eldest and youngest, my two middle boys were stuck firmly in school, and I spent most of the time thinking "EB would love throwing stones on the iced over lake" or "MB would love to come here when it is this quiet."
DH is supportive about HEing everyone, he hates the school run and thinks that the holidays would be much cheaper out of normal term time. It is my mother who scares me. She has already told me I am making OD abnormal and that I had better not keep her out of school for too long as I will damage her social skills irreversibly. Being the wimpy creature I am I balked at telling her I am thinking of taking them all out, I just don't want the out rage and the arguments.
So I am a bit ashamed of myself really. I love HEing and I should have stood up and said so. I just get fed up of having to defend it all the time. I don't think I will completely enjoy it until they are all at home, as I feel like I am only half able to experience it at the moment. Any HE-ers will know what I mean, as I often have to leave activities half way through in order to make it to the school gates in time.
I mean look at their sweet (frozen) faces, who wouldn't want to have them at home all the time?
4 comments:
I know where your coming from about your mother. Mine is awful and keeps on and on about it. She asked me last week which high school I was going to put Josh's name down for in October and she had a fit when I told her he is not going. The high schools round here are extremely dodgy and have a huge problem with bullies so why would I want to send him when I can do a much better job myself!!
It is easier with them all at home as there are no early mornings (my fav) and in most cases sibling become closer as a result of being HE together.
Its great that your dh is being so supportive too as that makes such a huge difference. Good luck with your mother!
With all due respect to your mother and her right to an opinion about the upbringing of her grand children, they are YOUR children - yours and your DH's - NOT hers, and you guys are the ones who have to make the desicions.
After all, shouldn't DH (as 'man of the house' and all that ;) have more sway?
In the end, I'd be tempted to go ahead and do what I wanted - ie, take the boys out of school - and just not tell her. Then, if she questioned why you hadn't told her, explain that you knew she didn't approve with dh and your desicion about how to bring up your children, and you prefered not to start (another) argument.
I could go on about how school is great for socialisation if you want your child to only related to people born the same year as them, encourage them to be submissive to abartary deisicions that are taken with out consulting them, and expose them to lots of negative peer presure and negative sub and counter culture, but that's a whole separate post in the making, eh!
quite apart from the fact that socialisation - behaving responsibily - is the PARENT'S responsibility and NOT the schools, and children should arrive at school with reasonable social skills and manners and be supported through the developement of these BY THEIR PARENTS. (also something I feel strongly about... can you tell?!)
mamacrow- I like your style. I can only echo everything you've said. We've been He-ing for three years and I've only just started to stand up to my Mum. You'd think they'd be proud of us wouldn't you?
thanks Bridget! Luckily my mum is VERY supportive. She has a rather endearing attitude of finding anything we do as being wonderful! (mother-in-law - suprisingly turned out not to be. but has since simmered down a lot.)
Post a Comment