Wednesday, 7 January 2009

All quiet on the birthday front.

In case you have been wondering where I have been this week, I am one of those silly people who didn't think about when their children would be born when family planning. Hence, I have not one but two birthdays immediately after Christmas. OD was 8 years old on twelfth night, and EB is six today. That's right, two birthdays, one straight after the other. Yes, we are poor.

So I have spent two days in a blur of wrapping papar, card board, cake and general mess. It's like Christmas all over again!!

It has also been an interesting experiment, because OD is home educated and EB is not. OD's birthday was a more relaxed affair, with a birthday lunch and leisurely shopping trip to get the required electronics kit and nail art kit (I think she is planning to become some kick ass supergirl figure in the future, who can diffuse a bomb without chipping a nail.)

EB had to open his presents before school, and then I spent all day wishing he was at home to celebrate proper. I picked him up at 3 o' clock and then he came home and played with his new things and had a stream of visitors. He is only just getting ready for bed now. I felt like I had to cram all the birthdayness into a smaller number of hours with EB, which was sad and left me feeling like I had cheated EB in some way. So, as you can see, I am edging towards home schooling the lot of them with each day that passes.

I have agreed that at the weekend I will take him and five of his best friends to the pound cinema. They will then come back to ours and tear the house apart for an hour or two.
OD is having a sleep over the following weekend with a couple of pals, because I couldn't face doing it all in one weekend.

There was one very sweet moment that I shall leave you with. Last night on the eve of his Birthday, I was tucking EB in and asked him what he wanted for his Birthday. He told me snow. I said that this was a tall order, as we had already had a small amount on Monday and we don't live in Scotland any more (for ages he was adamant we did.) This morning when he woke up he looked out of the window and behold! There was snow falling! It was ankle deep and enough to play in for him. He was thrilled that he got his Birthday wish, and I thought it was a nice reminder of the things money can't buy. OD promptly spoilt this by moaning that she hadn't got her Birthday wish which was a horse. When they fall out of the sky my dear, then you too shall get your wish (and several broken bones xxx)

6 comments:

Sam said...

Yay! for the birthday snow :-) I can't begin to imagine the organisational skills needed for birthdays right after Christmas. I struggle with one at the beginning of Feb.
(HE them all. You know you want to!) :-D

Bridget said...

My DDs' birthday is two weeks tomorrow, she's spent today making invites for a sleepover and has just presented me with a list of food she would lke for a midnight feast.
Glad your son got the snow he wanted. DD would probably want a horse too!

mamacrow said...

wow, birthday snow, how cool!

yeah, I made the same family planning mess. child no4 was 3 on 27th Dec, child no2 was 8 today and child no 1 will be 12 on the 27th. oops, is all I can say!

Lisa said...

LOL Happy Birthday all, my girls bdays are 2 weeks apart in Feb & I thought that was bad :o)

Snow and horses WOW

mamacrow said...

lisa - ouch!

kelly said...

Thank you for your comments, it's nice to know I am not the only one who didn't contemplate birth dates and the implications.

My step sister planned her children's births around the school intake times, how organised (and scary) is that?