Thursday, 13 November 2008

Tomorrow is an exciting day

This is because OD has decided she would like to sit a maths challenge we found in one of her text books that we accumulated. We have been working through it to a half way point where she has the option to test what she has learnt, to make sure it has sunk in.

This week we have had tears, real actual tears over graph charts and angles. All was self inflicted as she has adopted a negative "I can't do this" attitude from her time at school. She will look at a problem and without even reading the first sentence her response is as above. I have taken the approach of remaining calm through the outbursts, and resisting the urge to throw the book at her head. This is the usual conversation:

OD: I can't do this
Me: Don't worry, we'll do it together
OD: But I can't do this (wails)
Me: Not the end of the world darling, we will sit and work it out.
OD: (Almost hysterical) BUT I CAN'T DO THIS!!!
Me: Are you hurt?
OD: No
Me: Are you lost? (OD's absolute worst fear is getting lost*)
OD: No
Me: Has the house collapsed around us?
OD: No
Me: So, may be you should calm down and we will look at this together?
OD: (by now has composed herself.) Oh, OK.

*When OD was three, we lost her in Toys R Us. It was the most terrifying 7 minutes of my life. Serves us right for going to the stupid shop, I really REALLY hate it.

3 comments:

mamacrow said...

oh GOOD responses!

I still get this 'blind panic' with saurus occasonally, usually when he's tired/stressed. he just answers randomly and DOESN'T READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY! now he's been out of school 4 mths (gosh, only four? feels forever, in a good way I mean) it rarely happens.

but yeah, i've found the best is a very low key, almost casual tone, and fewer words is better...

s:I can't do this, I can't do this!
me:that's ok.
s:I'm crap at maths, I'm really stupid!
me: well I'd have to disagree with that.
s:but I am, I just can't do this!
me:well if you actually just put pen to paper...
S:'dramatic sigh'
me:'placid silence'
s:oh, ok then. (does problem, without a problem!)

he's such a drama queen sometimes! and he tries to get me all caught up in this drama, like some men (or women, come to think of it) do when they loose something.

Grit said...

this conversation sounds very similar to squirrel and reading, with added squirming and writhing (from squirrel, not me). she then proceeds to read half a chapter of dr doolittle, to stumble only over the words 'organ-grinder' 'monkey' and 'circus'. she then finishes by declaring 'that shows it! i can't read!'

kelly said...

I am hoping to turn my daughter into the next barack obama (or bob the builder) can we do it? Yes we can!