Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Today We....

....went to the local home school meet up at a community farm. It was pants. The boys managed to fall out with the big boys, which meant I spent most of my time diverting a full on punch up.

This leads me to one of the most confusing and conflicting parenting dilemmas. When your kid is being threatened or is being battered by another child, what are you supposed to tell them to do? I am forever telling my two boys not to knock lumps out of each other. Then, I see a boy twice their age beating them round the head, and I want to shout "stand up for yourselves you soft lumps, don't sit there looking bewildered whilst some oaf hits you, wallop him back!". Is this bad parenting? Probably.

I did try to find the offending child's parent to try and put a stop to it, but he or she was no where about. At the end of the session whilst I was loading children into the car, I did finally see his mother, she was sitting inside the cafe chatting to her friend, oblivious to the havoc her offspring was causing outside.

The farm is great, the kids played and had wore themselves out charging about in the fresh air, but I was as usual the sad melon on my own. I know I should make the effort to go over and say hello to the other home schoolers, but they sit in a circle, and it looks pretty impregnable.

There was some excitment as the man from Grand Designs came in to the cafe as I was feeding my baby, and I had a mad urge to phone the local newspaper with the headline "TV personality saw my boob". You never know, I could make the front page.

Tomorrow it is back to reality and routine, and the knitting. Uh oh.......

1 comment:

mamacrow said...

but if the circle includes people who allow their children to behave like that....

ok, I don't like the use of the word 'allow' there either, but you know what i mean...