Thursday, 20 November 2008

Thank you, Merlin

Last night I had a full royal court in my front room. I had: a King (small in stature but BIG in commands,) two Princesses (complete with lap dogs and haughty expressions) and a couple of Kinghts (one was dressed as a pirate but this was overlooked.) Having friends who also watch and love Merlin was the inspiration behind the game.

They had a banquet, which consisted of fish fingers, pizza, baby carrots and peas. They had courtly entertainment - including sword fighting and shield making and some (slightly dodgy) singing.

It was so much fun, and I completely threw myself into it, making costumes, speaking "proper" to the Royals and creating thrones and a royal court room. I realised afterwards how much "education" had gone on as well. There was maths, english, craft, PE, cooking, history, it was all in there, and most importantly, it was fun. It was all the things I wanted HE to be, but didn't involve hardly any planning on my part, it just happened. OD now wants to do a project on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and cannot wait to start working on it.

I am starting to realise that my children will only truly learn when they are inspired, not when dictated to by me, and that perhaps letting them lead the way and making sure I can back it up with the right resources is the way I need to go for now.

I think I learnt the most today.

1 comment:

mamacrow said...

yay yay yay! isn't it GREAT when that happens?! and you get the warm fuzzies, yeah!
well done you :)