Sunday, 16 November 2008

Nearly lost one...

Child, that is. Today was the first day of swimming lessons for the eldest three. First up the boys. Eldest Boy (EB) and Middle Boy (MB) both got in to the pool the wrong way and had to get out and get in again properly. This did not bode well....

They set off across the pool, floats on arms and I sat on a bench, sweating with all the other parents. EB made it across the pool without any problems, and even managed a grin and a wave. I did a discreet wave back and cast an eye on MB. To my horror he was bobbing up and down in the water, and not in an enthusiastic "oh-how-I-am-loving-my-lesson-way," no, this was more an "oh-my-god-my-float-is-falling-off-my-arm-and-i-am-drowning" way.

I tried, discreetly, to attract the attention of the teacher, whilst he started to cough and splutter but she was too busy helping some other child float on their back....in the end I got to my feet and yelled (to my shame) "EB!! GET YOUR BROTHER!!". EB duly stopped arsing about in the water and waded over and grabbed his slightly drowned sibling. The teacher was so calm, she must see small children nearly drown every day I suppose.

This happened again about ten minutes later, but EB kept a watchful eye on his brother after the first nail biting incident. It is the first time EB has been really useful as a big brother, and I was really pleased how he didn't fuss over MB (which my daughter would most certainly have done.) He just stayed near enough to grab him.

I asked MB rather tentatively if he had enjoyed his swimming lesson, dreading that (having just paid the required £40) he would say he was never, ever coming back.

His reply:

"Yes Mummy, I loved it, except for the drowning bits."

1 comment:

Val said...

That is a gorgeous post and the last line unforgettable....don't know if you'll read this as it's an old post but that creased me up