A good place to start, I like to think.
This is the lane you just came down. Sorry for the bumps and the over grown brambles that scratched your car. We are trying to get it under control, but it's a lot of track.
You have wellies on don't you? And fly repellent? Because this week has been a bad one for wasps.
Then let's go.
Right in front of the house is the area we laughingly call the lawn. It is called this because the weeds are cut short here, and this is where the washing line is. You go down a small bank (if you're feeling energetic) or down a small slope (if you aren't) and come face to face with one of many Bamboo thugs. Before I moved here I hankered for bamboo. Now I am realising there is so much truth in being careful about what you wish for. There is so much of the stuff it is even invading my dreams.
There are three ponds, and three paths between the ponds. Each leads to a different area.
The top pond is known as boatman pond because of the many, many boaters that reside in it. This pond is divided on two sides. The top path has our meadow (pictured above) to the left and the slightly oddly named "Maze field". I don't understand why, the children decided to call it this, possibly because there are two semi circles of box hedging that reminds them of a maze?
This field is probably my favourite, as I sense that some one long before us hankered for their own mini arboretum, so they went mad with the trees. In this one small space we have horse chestnut, sweet chestnut, walnut, oak, sycamore, field maple, ash, a monkey puzzle, a handkerchief tree, some hazelnuts, several buddlieas, rowan, conifer, birch and yet more that I have not managed to identify. They are spread out with clumps of montbretia and pampas grass between them, making it a mowers hell. Most of the pampas and the montbretia are being over taken by brutish brambles, which after I've harvested their fruits, will be getting a severe hair cut.
Behind the maze field is another field, this one is mostly meadow with some fox glove and ferns thrown in. Up here is the highest point, where you can look back towards the house and almost see the nearest neighbour.
Hello neighbour.
If you need to take a breather at this point, please do. The climb was rather steep.
Got your breath back?
Right...let's take the far easier stroll down the hill and through into the next field.
This one is call the orchard. This is because is has several fruit trees, mostly apple and cherry but we have found two plum and two ailing pear trees. This is the sunniest field for sure. It is where we hang our hammock:
This field is bound by a stream, called Streaky Stream (again, I know not why. I have asked and no one seems to want to answer.)
The other side of Streaky is some kind of mystery No-Adults-Land. I've tried to walk through here and end up bitten, stung and scratched. Instead we'll wave good bye to the children and take the more civilised path round the ponds. We'll meet up with the children shortly.
This is the falling down piggery:
The falling down chicken coop:
The falling down green house (do you sense a theme here?):
I hear noise.
There are children a-rustling in the trees. If you're faint hearted it's probably best that you don't watch Od haul Lb across the fallen tree, or any one play on the newly built tree swing.
I'm sure you've been mesmerised by watching the kids cross this stretch of Streaky, but if you can tear your eyes away and turn round, you will see this:
The lake, complete with it's own island. Called naughty island by the children because they like to tell people this is where I put them when they are naughty. Not true...but a very good idea.
There are other nooks and crannies that we're discovering all the time. With great discoveries comes great sacrifice. Od has an egg on her head after an argument with a rock, Mb got stung on the foot by a wasp and Eb cut his finger climbing.
Me, I'm spending my time reading up about keeping chickens, and getting a bit scared after the diseases chapter. I'm day dreaming about keeping real live piggies in the pig barn, and doodling plans for the veg garden.
When I do find the time and the will to implement all my grand plans, you'll have to come back for another grand tour.
Try to remember to avoid the pot holes on your way back up the lane, won't you?
(This post has been three hours in the making, because a down side to living here is the cranky internet connection. When it's stropping, no amount of sweet talking will work. Six times I lost my photo uploads....)
3 comments:
Blimey! How wonderful! I was going to say it would keep you busy, then I read that you want to add actual chickens and pigs.
I am in awe :-)
wow.
utterly.
wow.
what a beautiful, beautiful life you are leading. thanks so much for sharing it...
*sigh*
xo
Oh. My. GOD.
I am GREEN with envy. Even with the upkeep, brambles, creepy crawlies, mowing, mozzies, etc.
Post a Comment