I wasn't going to post about the terrible happenings in London. I am not very political, I don't even begin to understand the motives behind such events.
But.
Then it spread further, reaching other parts of the country, North and West and I began to fear for friends and loved ones.
I understand that in the current climate of high unemployment, ever increasing living costs and the future of the many being always threatened by the greed of a few, emotions can run high.
I can understand the anger and frustration, I've felt it too at times. I've felt it, but to act on it would not be right, it would hurt the innocent and solve nothing.
To smash and burn and destroy and hurt.
This is not the way to change the world.
This is the way to sink it further into despair and horror.
As I watch the events of the night before unfold, I struggle to explain what has happened to my children. Even they in their young years cannot fathom how there is any thing right with these actions.
They hear from a man whose family have lost a business that they have had for forty give years, they see a teenage boy injured and then mugged by his peers, they see sadness and tears and lives ruined for no good reason.
I cannot hide them away from these events. This is the world they will inherit, and it will be them and their generation that will shape the world for the generation after them. They need to lock these images away in their hearts and minds and when the time comes and they are no longer children, they may need to recall them and make a decision on where they stand.
I hope they will say no to mindless violence, no to stupidly following the pack, when you know the pack heading in the wrong direction. I hope they can be strong and wise and meet frustration with a calm and practiced eye. I hope that they can see this madness for what it is.
I am ashamed of my country today.
4 comments:
Even though I was living in Brixton when there were two nights of rioting and my world suddenly felt like a war zone and I walked with a lot of fear for quite some time, I still wholeheartedly agree: this is not your home. Your home is worlds away from that and from the this happening now. May anarchy lose out to decency and good. May peace prevail and may it do so before yet more innocent people are caught in the fire.
We are watching it on the News all the way down here in Australia.I have relatives in Yorkshire and I hope they are not affected.I know what you mean, we cannot hide these things from our children, as much as you can hide the truth.I hope that the next generation can learn fromt he one thats here now and hopefully not make the same mistakes. How people, who are obviously desperate and scared and having no idea how to turn anywhere but towards violence, can destroy others lives as well I will never know. Stay safe.
Also show them the pictures of the THOUSANDS of people that turned up all over the country today, armed with brooms and black bags, to clean up.
Tell them about the Handy Man company, whose employees are all donateing their time and expertise free to help fix the damage.
Tell them about the Millwall Football Club fans protecting their high street, literally filling it full from pavement to pavement to stop looters.
Tell them about the young Sikhs in Solihul, cheerfully standing on the streets of their community, carrying their ceremonial swords.
Tell them about the artist who has drawn pictures of Wombles, tidying up the mess; selling them and donating all the proceeds to help clear up the damage, so that shops and homes and businesses whose insurance doesn't cover the damage can be helped.
This is OUR HOME. We're taking it back. xx
Mamacrow - you have some good and valid points here. It is always uplifting to hear the positive stories, and the simple bravery and love of people (my favourite is the single mum who stood alone outsider her hair salon all night, simply telling the kids that they weren't touching her shop - amazing.)
Post a Comment