The sun has been shining, and there have been many picture postcard moments over the past couple of weeks.
It will come as no surprise to any other parent that lots of outside time = tired but happy children. There is less bickering, more harmony.
Why?
Is it the simple fact that they are not squashed together in the confines of a house?
Is it the potent effects of blue skies and sunshine?
They play together outside more than inside.
Naturally moving some where new means a great deal of time spent exploring, and I have got used to being dragged through child made paths - and getting scratched to bits as I am not child height - to see the newest den.
I love the adventures, and the new things that have to show me. A hidden waterfall, a twisty tree, a secret pond (this one I am slightly worried about as they cross over it on a flimsy bridge...I'm afraid the scardy parent in me has banned this crossing unless an adult is present.)
For me it's been interesting to watch how they have tested and stretched themselves. For the first week they didn't venture further than the lawn, unless a parent was going further afield. Weeks two and three saw them roam a little further and yesterday's landmark was wandering so far up stream that they came out at the next farm house which is a good hours walk away.
A life saver for me has been the walkie-talkies that Grannie bought a year ago. They have great range and I can radio the kids to tell them that lunch is ready. It also means that they can keep in touch with me and saves me standing on the front step bashing saucepan lids together.
In the interest of fair reporting, I should point out that it is not all sunshine and rainbows....there have been falls, scraped knees, horsefly bites, nettle stings as well as one bloody nose due to Eb thinking he could climb an unclimbable tree.
All of these injuries only serve to make the good stuff even sweeter.
1 comment:
Sounds perfect to me. 'Cept the biting flies. Don't much like those.
And I think it's all of it--wide open space. Being in the World.
And I agree that walkytalkies are a fine, fine thing. :)
Post a Comment