Instead of early bed times, we stayed out until midnight on the trampoline to watch the bats and the stars.
Instead of deciding between hot dinners or packed lunches, we had picnics in the garden and hot soup in a flask at the beach.
Instead of reading books sent home, we read Swiss Family Robinson, Flanimals, Hitler's Canary and Fantastic Mr Fox.
Instead of piling in the car to make the school bell at 8:30 a.m. we piled in the car to visit a Bishop.
Instead of organising a school bag, we organised a day coasteering.
Instead of school, we chose otherwise.
If you are a parent who is not sure about school, or who drops their child off on their first day with a sinking feeling in the pit of their stomach....you are not alone.
Please don't think for one moment that I am a school basher. There are many good things about school, and I realise that for many families, home education is not a viable option. But, if there is that little voice that whispers "what if?" to you, please don't bury it.
We are almost three years in now, and even though there have been moments when I have wanted to run screaming from my house, overall the pain and suffering has been out done by the happy and shiny.
The highs, the lows, the tears, the smiles, the tempers, the co-operation, the nagging, the whining, the debating, the frustration, the love and the million and one other emotions and actions all point to one thing, that so far.....
It's been worth it.
1 comment:
Kelly, I am late to this, but in the finding, your words have hit home so deeply. I am SO grateful for them. Today I'm sick, so my husband took the day off work to take the kids to their homeschool excursion and I thought, This feels hard. Like maybe I'm not holding up. Maybe if they were at school… well, you know how thoughts like this can unravel from there.
But then I found your words. Which are a gift to me. They lifted me right up, and put me gently back on track. Thank you.
Post a Comment