We had a great Christmas in this house. It was declared by each child to be the best one ever, and I am inclined to agree with them...it was just as it should be. We saw family, played games, watched some classic television (Doctor Who Christmas special) and ate some lovely food. It ended up with me having a late night/ early morning bath with my new Mimosa bath crystals (thank you children) and me having a little blub about this being the last Christmas in this house...yes I was probably over tired and over emotional.
At this very moment, three days after Christmas Day, I am itching to take down the tree - a yearly tradition.
Since Od and Eb both have a birthday at the beginning of January I get the urge to pack Christmas away quickly and urgently to move on to Birthday planning and thoughts. The tree is a huge part of this, as I can't quite relax in to birthday mode with a seven foot tree looming over me.
The children and the husband will win until News Years Day but then, whilst every one else is asleep or busy, I will take it apart and store it away for another year. I've already been discreetly removing baubles.
Now, I don't want you to think I am some post-Christmas Scrooge, because I still carry on the festive feeling, and there is much playing, singing and every thing else...I just *need* the tree and the decorations down. I don't think I am alone in this, I am sure there are others who have this urge also.
The kids got some excellent gifts this year. Thrilled doesn't do it justice.
A Christmas Gift List - Only read this bit if you are interested (and I completely understand if you aren't but I will never remember if I don't write it some where.) Eb got some Airfix starter model sets, as well as the Star Wars Lego Brickmaster book, timeshock and Drawn to Life. Mb got his much coveted Dancing Robot, real life alien and, much to his delight, some more playmobil dinosaurs. (Interesting, I've noticed that the prices of all these things have gone up since I bought them in November - the Dino sets were £20 then. I have no idea why the prices have gone up so.) Some bright spark also bought the boys a bow and arrow set, so I've spent a good deal of time sounding like the mother from A Christmas Story as my new favourite phrase seems to be "You'll shoot your eye out." Shrek got his toy zoo, a car transporter and a toy shopping trolley that he delights in emptying the kitchen cupboards into. If I had seen that coming, I may have had a word in Santa's ear about this one. And finally Od...she was given her very own sewing machine as a joint present from two of her Grannies (she has five in total) which she was completely thrilled with, as well as some new breyer horses, a Famous Five box set and SimAnimals Wii game.
I hope your Christmas was as lovely...and that you have a great New Year.
We're going to a fancy dress party - the theme is Carry On films.
Should be interesting.
2 comments:
not only do i have that same urge -- our house is completely un-decorated already! i did it yesterday...a day later than my usual of a Boxing Day tear-down...lol
i can't help it....what appears so festive and cosy beforehand, seems to magically turn to untidy and cluttered as soon as Christmas day is over..:)
Us this end too...
Ours came down today - all Christmas Clutter removed ;-)
Post a Comment