Wednesday, 15 December 2010

hospital and gah! and home again

The following is completely unrelated to the post title, I just wanted to show you what we did before the world went mad:This is Elf. He belongs to Mb. I swear that boy would have me tied to the sewing machine creating his own private soft toy army given the opportunity.

Festive, isn't it?

Then the universe gave me a jolt.

There was I, spending a day fretting about unfinished projects, looming Christmas, whether there would be a wrapping paper shortage...and on.

Then, Eb takes himself to bed uncharacteristically early. I go to check him and find he has a temperature of 40.2 so I dig out some medicine (we don't do much in the way of drugs here so you know this was bad.)

I won't get into the nitty gritty too much, but he ended up violently shaking and being admitted into hospital. As I sat next to him, seeing him all wired up and all frail looking, I wanted to give myself a huge kick up the bottom because my earlier fretting seemed so insignificant in comparison to this.

There were some lighter moments, like when Eb asked the Doctor if he would need brain surgery, and the moment his figured out that by waving his finger around he could make the attached monitor go crazy, not to mention the fit of giggles when the nurse asked him to wee into a bottle, because Eb's aim is notorious round these parts. There was also the hallucinations on his part, which were only funny in hind sight as at the time when your seven year old is telling you that he shouldn't be skateboarding in the supermarket but he really wants fizzy cola bottles, you start to worry whether this state of crazy is going to permanent.

A few tests and hours later, it is revealed that Eb has a bladder infection. We are given the medication and sent home, and given strict instructions that the minute his temperature spikes again we are to come straight back and not to dither.

I think I've had about five hours sleep in two nights.

This makes for a slightly hazy me. I get over emotional and silly when I'm tired. Apart from over hugging, I think Eb is most certainly on the mend (he was well enough to play The Shopping Game - and win)

It prompted the importance of Here and Now, and how precious these very moments are. It left me wanting to gorge on the present and to soak up every little moment, some thing that I am not so very good at, and some thing that I've not always appreciated, because planning for the future as always played a key part in my life. I like to know where I am going....and will freak out if I don't see the path.

Then when you are whisked into hospital in the blink of an eye with a sick child, you realise that actually all the planning in the world cannot prepare you, and that by loosening your grip on your plans, you can take change and the unknown far better in your stride.

Also, apologies Mamacrow and Mel, because I doubt your parcels will make it to the post office until Friday, but I am quite sure the both of you will be fine with that.

And now I'm off to brew coffee, hug children and just Be.

7 comments:

Appleshoe said...

Oh Dear, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully Mb is feeling a little better by now. Take care, breath deep and rest well.

Sam said...

Many {{{{hugs}}}} for you as well as your children. What a worrying time you had - I'm so glad Eb seems to be on the mend.

Anyway, I gave up planning ahead years ago - it all adds to the excitment ;-)

Love your elf and reindeer.

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

What a fright! I hope he's up and running round soon! And I love the elf!

Cheryl said...

Oh I feel for you. I spent five days in hospital with one of mine. Rushed in, so no preparation time. Home went on although I spent the next month trying to find things again. I was so glad to be home.

Hugs to you all. Oh and I love the elf and reindeer.

mamacrow said...

OH MY GOSH O_O

i guess the shakes and the halucinations were from the extreme temperature hike? Hugs. Glad he's on the mend!

Don't know if you've already discovered it but cranberry juice is great for preventing UTIs - since i started buying it regularly - many supermarkets do their own brand of cranberry & rasberry, and/or cranberry & blueberry - none of us (boys or girls) have got one (touch wood!)

ps. you're quite right, absolutely NO HURRY on pacel posting front :D

mel said...

oh my!! (((((hugs))))) absolutely do NOT even THINK about the parcel.....

i know so very much what you mean....my Nanna ending up in the hospital last week was huge kick in the arse.....

anyway...glad all is on the improve -- children do tend to bounce back quickly (thank goodness)

sending you warmth and light..

xo

Stephanie said...

Oh, Kelly, I"m sorry!!
How frightening.

The before part - that elf- is gorgeous.

Blessings to all of you!!