Wednesday, 8 December 2010

giving away the festive feeling

Carol singing was a huge success. We went to a Retirement Home and sang our little socks of to the residents. Turned into a bit of a shin-dig, and the cakes and puddings we gifted were well received. We all left with that warm glow of Christmassy-ness. (I'm a little tired and words are slightly failing me.)

I forgot to mention at the start of Advent (because believe it or not, I have a life outside of this blog) but we are doing things a little bit differently this year.

It all started with a remark from Od, about how lucky we are to be home together, and how so many people don't have what we have. I was pleased to hear her being so aware of others, and so after much discussion, we decided to have a season of giving in as many different ways as we could imagine.

A list was made. It's an ever-changing list of ideas and plans. It's been fun, and the kids are getting a sense of how they really can make a difference to the world, powerful stuff for little people to realise.

Carol singing was on the list, so was clearing out old toys and donating them to a local charity shop, so was making special bird feed for the garden birds over the hard winter months. Next week we have a visit to the local foodbank. We are also in the process of writing letters and wrapping parcels to post to children who are less fortunate than we are.

I think we can do this because we don't have an exhausting diary of school events. We had a Christmas play from the HE drama group, and a HE Christmas Party, but apart from that our time is our own, to use as we see fit. It's a freeing way to live, and we are thankful for it.

As part of our pre-Christmas clear out, I have sorted through all my craft supplies. No one really needs thirty glitter glues, let's be honest.

So I had an idea of another way to spread the cheer. Right here. My random collection of craft supplies is not some thing that would be appreciated by the masses, but possibly by the odd person that pops in here. So....if you would like to be considered as a recipient of the box of mystery delights, then leave a comment and we will pick a random person at the end of the week. I will post any where in the world, and it will be mailed out in time for Christmas.

I hope.

6 comments:

mel said...

isn't it marvelous when the children find the idea of *giving* coming so naturally -- i'm really seeing this in Savannah this year and it makes us all feel good.

and of course you NEED thirty glitter glues!!!! i banned regular glitter, two Easters ago, so it's all of the glue variety around here....

consider us candidates for the box of mystery delights -- what a marvelous idea...i really should sort through my stash...

:)

Pip said...

I love the idea of children realising not everyone is as fortunate as them and that they can choose to do something to make a difference. such grown up thinking!
Well done you for teaching them such values. they will grow to be wonderfull, caring adults!!

I also had a small clean through my christmas art supplies and donated some activities to the toddler group i run. They had a great time making fluffy snowmen for the fridge, christmas cards and cutting and sticking old christmas card pictures!! Was warming to see them all enjoying things that had become stale to us.

Please consider us for your lovely box of goodies! how exciting to recieve a mystery parcel!!
xx

mamacrow said...

GOOD FOR YOU! We're also carol singing (with the Home Ed group) round rest homes this year - I LOVE it!

We're also having a crafty christmas - all presents need to be hand made or hand personalised in some way - so we'd LOVE enter this wonderous craft give away!

(btw, ONLY 30 glitter glues?!)

liz said...

I totally agree. I only have to be warm in bed at night with the wind howling outside to be grateful for having a warm bed and people around me who care. Christmas is a great time for giving and for counting your blessings. I have just donated to my two favourite homeless charities as I think being homeless at Christmas let alone in winter, must be terrible, and at one point we were very close to being in a homeless state ourselves, life can throw anything at you whoever you are.
I would also love to recieve your mystery box, especially if it has glitter glue!!

Appleshoe said...

Beautiful. I have many wonderful childhood memories of caroling in nursing homes. Hats off to you for bringing your children up that it's in the giving more than the receiving. As for Od's remark... all I can say is 'out of the mouth of babes' Take care.

Melitsa said...

What excellent memories. They'll remember this for a long time.