But then I started to have "thoughts".
I read a few other blogs and saw things about the festivities of others and it got me thinking, which meant that at 2:30 a.m. I was laying in bed, thinking these thoughts and wishing the house wasn't so cold, otherwise I would have got up and typed the thoughts out of my head right then.
It started with my sister. I have many sisters but the one in question is my brave sister. We talk on the phone nearly every day as we live 600 miles apart and don't see each other as often as we would like. She was telling me how this is the first year her and her partner have been able to really spoil their children, as money hasn't been as tight for them this year as in previous. She has three small children who are completely into the magic of Christmas and Santa (I called yesterday and spoke to her four year old, and had to be Santa - no small challenge.)
I have bought my own children a range of presents and we have visited Santa, although my eldest is no longer a believer - she loves to feel grown up and keep the magic alive for her three younger brothers, and I know that the are those who will declare it lying to small children for the sake of adult whimsy....but I loved Santa as a child and still now can summon up the feeling of excitement that I had then. I asked Od if she felt sad about not believing, and she said no, that Christmas was still magical, and that most times she forgot she didn't believe.
But back to that nagging question.
Have I spoilt them?
What is spoiling?
We always spend alot of time together, and we have done a huge amount of crafts and baking this year, but this has only really interested two of my four, so it is quite possible that the other two (Shrek and EB in case you were wondering) are feeling a little left out. They've played a lot of games together though, and have watched some films whilst we've been working in the kitchen... so not too much of a bum deal.
I have come to realise that we all have different levels of spoiling. I have two friends who will view what we have done in completely opposite ways. One will almost pity our children at Santa's meagre offering, the other will be horrified at the over indulgence we have permitted ourselves. All I know is that in my heart, I am happy with the balance we have got, and I am truly thankful that we are all together, that we are here. With the recent chaos we've experienced, I am even more grateful for our time together.
If you're feeling a little bit unsure about Christmas, the buying of gifts (or not) for small people, or just want to feel warm and glowy...go read this.
And, once again....
Merry Christmas.
3 comments:
Hi Kelly,
I loved reading this post, and the post you linked from here. I have been amazed of late, how important blogland seems to be to people, and how the opinions of others seem to matter so much. Christmas should be exactly how you want it, who cares about those who dissaprove. Its such a personal thing. Making stuff is great, giving to others is great, but also buying your own children the presents they ask for is a huge part of christmas for most, I know it is for us! I like you am truly grateful to all be here together, and be able to spoil mine a bit this year has been great. I really hope you have a lovely christmas together with lots of fun had by the children with their lovely new toys!! Merry Christmas, Liz
so true...and Stephanie did a marvelous job of putting it all into perspective.
there's so much i could say, but i haven't quite got the thoughts formed yet (only half-way through my coffee...lol)...but i think you've summed it up when you say 'we are here' -- and thankful to be together. i know it sounds cheesy, but family is the grounding factor to the season...and everything else should be left to interpretation. i find the Land of Blog to be both a delight and as well as a constant source of oneupmanship....the latter which i'm slowly learning to avoid for the sake of my own sanity....;)
happiest of Christmases to you...and i'm so glad that your little ones are on the mend...
xo
I lost my comment. sigh.
So I'll just say that I certainly have a firm idea of what a Happy, Magical Christmas Morning looks like in my house, and I had the time, inclination, and resources to provide that. So I did. :)
Everyone should feel comfortable and happy enough in their own Knowing to do that.
"Do it like you wrote it," because you are writing it.
An' the purpose of this life, as I see it, is not to come out in the end as a watered down, homogenized version of Same.
There's Thich Nhat Hanh, Richard From Texas, You, and Me. We should all celebrate and be thankful for that.
xxoo
(And thanks for the link love!)
Post a Comment