Friday, 16 September 2011

sweet pizza

This is a cheat, let me just say that up front.

I make the same pizza dough nearly every week: 200g plain flour, a sachet of yeast, a tsp of sugar and the same of salt, a dash of olive oil and enough warm water to make it doughy (i think about 150ml but don't quote me.) Leave it to rise for twenty minutes, roll out, put on the toppings and there you go.

I can't remember where I got this recipe from, but it works each time and every one likes it.

Last week it was cold. At ten in the morning it felt like the sun was already setting, and every one was grumpy because our plans had been of the beach and surf variety. It ended up being a walk up the lane until we were all too cold kind of day instead. If you're eight and surf obsessed, this is not a good substitute.

I'd set about making the dough, but didn't really feel like pizza so as an experiment I doubled the sugar, halved the salt and instead of the normal toppings I spread honey, a knob of butter, raisins and cinnamon over the top.

It was really lovely. Like a less buttery brioche flat bread.

And sweet pizza was born.

I've since made it with sliced apples, maple syrup, banana, and even one with custard as a topping and they were all divine. Makes a nice snack and not an unhealthy one. It's also nice cold with whipped cream (although the kids don't know, as I had this when they were in bed - Mothers Treat ;)

I thought was being clever, until Mr Wah informed me that in Turin where he has been several times for work, sweet pizza is a traditional pudding. Bah. I bet I'm the first one to make it in our village.

Bearing in mind that there are only 50 houses in our village, that's not so much of an achievement.

So there you have it. Sweet Pizza. If you have any topping suggestions, please do let me know.

No comments: