Tuesday, 13 September 2011

one tree


Up in the top field, there is one lonesome but large horse chestnut tree. It was the first tree to be recognised by the children when we moved here, and it the tree they visit the most often, in the hope that there would finally be a few conkers on the floor.


(Our tree does have the problem of leaf miners, which means it's future is uncertain, although I'm following as closely as I can the developments being made in terms of treatment.)


It was a dry, bright and rather breezy afternoon so we did what we do most days and ventured out to see what we could see.

And there it was. The first shiny conker of the season.

Glee!

After that, there was no other activity other than the hoarding of those shiny treasures.

Od made a new friend:


Even though he did spray her with stink.

As I took pictures, joined in conversations and made sure no one fell out of a tree, I remembered to lock this afternoon away in my memory bank. I know that childhood is fleeting, and it is days like these, where the excitement of finding such a simple object as a conker is a treat and cause for celebration that I want to remember.

3 comments:

Pip said...

i look back with fondness on the memories of me collecting conkers as a child and feel a special glow when i watch my children reliving this moment before my very eyes! xx

Jacqui said...

I do miss having proper autumn-y trees nearby, but we seem to have acquired a horse chestnut case from somewhere - just waiting for the conker to hatch. lovely day to treasure And remember. xx

momandkiddo said...

Oh, how we love the chestnut trees in autumn! My son calls them "conker-bonkers."