Thursday, 8 September 2011

September

I'm not ready for Autumn.

Oh, I know that the seasons will move on with or without my blessing, but I was really hoping for one of those glowing, warm Septembers where trips to the beach are still accompanied by ice creams rather than soup.

Then, I trek to the top field for harvest the blackberries and get (literally) hit in the face with this:

I'm trying not to feel sad about the passing of Summer. I am trying to love the new season, and welcome it into our lives but I am not ready, not ready at all.

There have been shifts in the things the children bring in from the garden....no flowers, lots of seed heads and gah! Acorns and two conkers.

We had comfortable traditions at our old house, clubs started back up, the garden would be shifting and the tasks within it would be familiar.

Now I find myself with the task of plant 1000 Spring flowering bulbs, and wondering quite why this seemed such a good idea at the end of July. I am watching with a little bit of frustration as so much of the tree fruit falls to the floor and gets eaten by near dying wasps before I have the chance to collect it. In my old garden my one apple tree was easy to keep an eye on. Here, if I turn my back for a moment, one of the many drops all its wares. I am laying in bed, listening to the wind and the ancient, creaking sycamore behind the house and wondering if it will topple.

Don't think for a moment I am having second thoughts, or that I am not grateful for living where we now do.....I'm just trying to find my stride.

One way I think I could do this, is by embracing rather than resisting the changes. I'm not sure how to do that just yet...but I'm sure I'll work it out.

4 comments:

rosieposie said...

Keep with it, it always feels a little strange sometimes when you move somewhere new, I should know we have moved around 6 times in the past 10 years, to 4 different places - a few years in you will be in the swing of things, enjoying the season changes and making good use of all of the fruit from the trees. I bet it will all look magical in wintertime if you get snow, did you fill the mysterious hole yet?

Cheryl said...

I think a little bit more blue sky this Summer would have made Autumn easier to embrace. Kind of greedy I know, but I need a little bit more summer. Hey ho, time to do something with the fruit harvest and capture a little bit of summer for the winter. (Was that upbeat enough?)

Anonymous said...

Wow - just catching up with your blog, haven't read it for ages. Your new life looks absolutely amazing, and lots of work!! I love the changing of the seasons, but still would like to cling to summer a little longer!

kelly said...

thanks for the comments - nice to know I'm not alone with the Summer longing!

Rosieposie...yes the hole is filled in (for now!)