Tuesday, 12 October 2010

two little chefs

We made a dozen salt dough cakes a few weeks ago. I didn't blog about them here because I wasn't sure how long they would last. They are very simply salt dough fashioned into cake shapes in paper cake things. (I'm tired, and I can't find the good picture I took or remember the correct term for them but you know what I mean I hope.) Once they were cooled down, we painted them into very fancy cakes.

Happily, they seem to be surviving well, and are used nearly every day in the small person bakery currently running in the top room:


I am sure Mb is destined to be either a catalogue model or a game show presenter.


Shrek's hat is indeed a rolled up piece of white scrap paper. It kept him happy and distracted him from pointing at Mb's hat and shouting "mine!"

The best bit for me is seeing how (once again) the sibling dynamics have shifted. A few weeks ago, Shrek saw Mb as a competitor for affection. He was more incline to follow his biggest brother Eb around, or be gleefully dominated by his only sister. I don't know when or why, and if I were a better more observant sort I may be would have noticed, but he is now stuck to Mb's side. He has been begging him to play cafes, cars, dinosaurs and spies (although I am not sure that he really "gets" spies, he just likes hiding under the chairs and whispering.)

I am relieved and thrilled, because I was always a little bit worried about the competitive hugging they used to do and whilst I love a cuddle, it appears that I won't have to risk having my neck snapped off in future.

Happy times.

This is linked to Childhood 101 We Play.

6 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I love your salt dough cake idea! And hooray for positive changes to sibling dynamics - isn't it fascinating to watch their relationships evolve?

Hear Mum Roar said...

I love those cute chef hats!

Anonymous said...

I love the photo. It looks like they really got along well in that moment.

Anonymous said...

My borther had the same kind of smile, but we always thought he would be a used car salesman LOL

Glad to hear that they are playing so happily together and no longer competing for your affectiong :)

izzy said...

Siblings rivalry is normal.. And can be healthy sometimes =)

Such a fun cooking activity! Complete with the chef outfit!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love your improvised chef's hat. Perfect!