Monday, 18 October 2010

the making of presents


If you are a friend or relative of ours, then you do not need to read this post because it is highly likely that you have been on the receiving end of one of our "special bundles".

For the whole of this year, we have been on a quest to make home made gifts for as many people as possible. The end results have been a mixed bag to be honest.

This month we have Grandad's birthday, and he got a new glasses case, a home made cake some (more) bookmarks and an Amazon voucher.

We've made tote bags, personalised file covers, wooden people, aprons, candles, brooches and plant pots to name a few. By far the most successful was the cousins bakery inspired gift, which was a home made apron, a few cookie making kits and a set of icing pens, although I'm not sure my sister appreciate the mess left in her kitchen.

I'm not sure what people really think of these gifts. They are normally met with appreciation and "how lovely" but I sometimes think that as soon as we are out of the house, they are muttering among themselves about cheapskates, dodgy craftsmanship etc.

For me, the joy is in the process, and seeing the kids get absorbed in some thing that they are doing for some one else.

Lastly, let me finish this post with a warning.

If you are on our friends and family list, this year we plan to expand our gift repertoire to include home made chutney, fingerless gloves and very alternative modern art.

1 comment:

Cat J B said...

I generally LOVE homemade gifts, esp from my sisters because they are excellent crafters/knitters/sewers. I am wearing some fingerless gloves from my elder sis that she knitted for my birthday right now (it's cold in my house :) )