Tuesday, 19 October 2010

science tuesday :: learning from failure

I am the chief educator in our family. We often joke that Mr WAH is more of a headmaster, not actually teaching but overseeing from a distance.

Sometimes though, he does get involved, and normally it is on an epic scale. Not for him the world of worksheets and text books. For fun (!) Mr Wah is working on the Google Lunar X Prize in his spare time. This probably explains a lot about us as a family...but that's for another day.

The kids are bemused by this, as they live in a digital generation where if you want to see lunar images, you simply type this into a search engine and hey presto! Images.

Mr Wah wanted to get the kids to appreciate the effort that goes into obtaining these images, the science, the creative thinking and the technology.

He decided that the best way to do this was to actively involve them. We started simple, with trying to work out how we would get images from the sky when we don't have a satellite or a rocket.

This is what they came up with:

That's their Dads cycle helmet camera (an odd gift from the in-laws) tied with fishing wire to a paper lantern. It looked promising to start with, and the kids saw how hot air rises, and that the paper lantern did not produce enough hot air to carry the weight of the camera.


So they went back to the drawing board, and decided that what they really needed was several helium balloons, good weather, some packaging around the camera to protect it, a large field and a tracking device. They submitted a financing request to the budget holders (Me and Mr Wah) and next month we will revisit this experiment with the necessary equipment to see if we can get images in this way.


From this experiment the kids learnt:

  • The differences between hot and cold air
  • The importance of research
  • What wind is
  • That failure can be valuable learning experience
If you want to make your own hot air balloon, instructions here, or you can buy them from here. Please be careful - if you set fire to the washing or your house, or indeed, each other, I will not assume any kind of responsibility!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try to post again...it would not work a minute ago! I just had to say YAY for you for doing the paper lanterns!! We made some this weekend as well but they did NOT go well...it was actually quite a disaster...too many kids! Thanks for showing us that it CAN be done...I am off to buy a kit now so we can try again!!

Sam said...

We're going to have to make a balloon now, and I hold you completely responsible ;-) (Oh, and a tracking device). I shall be back when we get stuck!

Good luck with the next stage of the research project.

!!! @ Mr Wah's Lunar X project - it needs to land ON THE MOON. Respect!

Stephanie said...

I think my sister's husband is in charge of this project too - they're aiming for space, I think...

Hubby can certainly do it if he likes... I don't have the time. Too much other stuff! :)