Wednesday, 17 November 2010

dyslexia for dummies

A few weeks ago, Mb was confirmed as dyslexic. I haven't posted about it because I wasn't sure I wanted to speak so publicly about some thing that I didn't know much about. In the library I found this book. I didn't bring it home with me, because the very title made me angry.

Mb doesn't need managing. He isn't a bank account.

He needs love, time and space to do his thing.

I am so very new to the whole dyslexia concept, but one person in particular has been stunningly helpful in my quest to know more. Tiffani over at Freeplaylife writes an awesome blog, not just about living and learning with her dyslexic daughter, but also about unschooling, photography and her new life in LA (so very different to life in SW England!)

Her "Out of the Box Thinkers" Category on her website header has been like a shining light for me. Just the simple things, like thinking about what font words are written in to make life easier for Mb. I think there is so much to learn from some one with real life experience. She also isn't shy about admitting the harder aspects (lack of time concepts being a biggy round here at the moment.) Actually, she isn't shy about anything, and recently filmed herself and a friend skinny dipping at the beach - it's tasteful, I assure you!

My initial thought was how I need to rethink what we are doing. Then I realised that actually he is quite OK with how things are progressing. I know he would like to improve his reading skills but I think this is some thing we can do together. Being a right brained thinker means that we will have to go about this in a different way than I have done with his siblings but it isn't any thing that we can't learn, together.

2 comments:

Appleshoe said...

Hi Kellyi- I have dyslexia and dysgraphia. My parents never allowed me to use the word "disability" instead we called them "learning hurtles" and I will always be grateful. Try to find the book "The Gift of Dyslexia". If you can't get a copy I could send you mine. In many ways it is a gift and now that I am an adult I can truly say that. We see the world differently and need to learn differently, but are just as intelligent as someone without dyslexia. His drive, creativity, imagination, and persistence are gifts that go along with dyslexia. Try to harness the positives and make him see them as well. There are many famous people who have dyslexia just look them up you will be surprised by what you find, Hint: we've had a few dyslexic presidents. I would be happy to answer questions if you shoot me an email. Take care.

Stephanie said...

I so love Tiff's perspective on dyslexia!
I learned about it from her.
When every someone close (family) says the D word in fear, I always say Hogwash! It's just a different line of thinking!!

And did you get my email about the last post?
Sent it to the google address.