Sunday, 6 June 2010

Today I went barmy in the charity shop

I was looking for a much needed wardrobe for the boys. I know I could have gone to Ikea for a simple solution but petrol isn't cheap, I have a sense of adventure and I am a tight fisted old crone who likes other peoples rubbish. Charity shop it is then.

BUT.

I have rules.

Rule One: Go with a plan - know what you are looking for and avert your gaze from any thing not on the list.

Rule Two: Spend at least one hour staring at the item from all angles and ask yourself over and over again "Should I?"

Rule Three: Go with the positive, unblinking belief that what you need will be there (kind of "if you build it, they will come" philosophy as demonstrated in Field of Dreams)

I broke rule one and two in a big, huge, major way. I bought the precious wardrobe - it has a lock and key and is curvy and lovely and perfect. (Rule three in action).

Then, when I am carrying out rule two and staring from alternative angles, I spot a sad little writing bureau sat in the corner, like Baby in Dirty Dancing, and I think to myself "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" and so I BREAK rule one, and add it to the list. As I am making my way back to wardrobe gazing, I trip over a blanket box painted with sailing ships and sea gulls and suddenly I realise I am out of control. I leave with:

Wardrobe
Writing bureau
Blanket box
Two chairs
Square chest with secret compartment!
A wall rack with little cubbies perfect for Od's makings
The most awesome of all...

A side unit with FAKE books on that revolves to have a drinks cabinet behind it! Awesomely tacky and cool all at the same time.

I went with a budget of £30. I spent just over £100.

We don't have space in our house for all of this furniture and I have to dump the children back home with a bewildered husband in order to do two runs back and forth to pick every thing up.

I did make the volunteer at the British Heart Foundation's day though, because Sunday is traditionally a slow day and my mad spree was the most they had taken in the week. As a token of thanks, I also got given five BHF badges (normally a pound each, so I can claim back at least a fiver from the over all cost, can't I?)

I need to add a new rule:

Only take cash. Leave the plastic at home.

4 comments:

TwigandToadstool said...

I'm smiling because it sounds like something I would do!!! Good sound advice in the end! (my plastic card is in the freezer)!!
maureen

Sam said...

Wow! Great finds! Totally jealous of your 'open on a Sunday and sells furniture' charity shop though. If you find another wardrobe, stick it in the post for me, could you ;-)

@untwining said...

This post has made me laugh so much! Especially Baby the writing bureau.

If I'd gone out and seen the revolving side unit/drinks cabinet I'd certainly have put it down to unconscious cosmic ordering (or your "positive, unblinking belief".)

It sounds to me as though you were destined to spend £100, not £30 ;-)

TEFL Ninja said...

oh no, this is going to happen to me.

I'm going to IKEA this week for the stuff I need to get this house under control stuff wise, but I have set my heart on some kind of dressing table with a mirror as a focal point in my bedroom. Don't like the IKEA one, what I really want is an old fashioned one, not too fussy, that I can paint.

Except I know I will leave with about ten other things (that I can paint, but don't need and will create new clutter with) blowing the budget and my back as I lug it all upstairs.