Saturday, 27 February 2010

why I will defend HE until the end

Time for some thing a little more positive. Enough with the anger, how about some shining examples of why we home educate in the first place.

Mb woke up today, got a piece of paper and started adding up numbers, to see how far he could go before he couldn't do any more. He even had a pattern - 1+1=2, then add the answer together, 2+2=4 and so on. This boy loves a good pattern and looks for them every where we go. He did this for nearly an hour, because he wanted to.

Eb sat and read a whole book about Knights from beginning to end, we're talking nearly 100 pages. This is the boy that wouldn't read. When we were at the library earlier, he asked to stay longer so he could finish the book he was reading about Egyptians. He went home with this and a book about how to write in hieroglyphs. Guess what he is doing right now?

Od made a new batch of clay food and crops for her playmobil farm that she lovingly tends. This may not sound such a big deal, but I know that childhood is precious and ever more fleeting. Her schooled friends do not play with toys any more, as she recently found out at a sleepover where the talk was of boys and make up.

Then there is Shrek, who is blissfully unaware of how lucky he is to be surrounded each and every day by such excellent teachers, instead of only fleeting glimpses of them before the hours of 8.15 a.m. and after 3.30 p.m, Monday to Friday. I credit them with his astonishing vocabulary and impressive singing skills (his renditions of "Bad Boys" and "Empire State of Mind" are rather wonderful.)

It is these and other memories that I will keep close to my heart in the coming weeks. I will return here often, go through the archives and remind myself when I can feel the fight in me waning.

This is why.


1 comment:

Bridget said...

Right behind you on that, especially about the effect that siblings have and how much they can teach without realising it.