Mb wants to know if bears have moustaches. I said I didn't think so. He went away and then came back and asked if bears could have moustaches if they wanted to. Thus ensued a loooong discussion between Eb, Mb and myself about bear etiquette.
We came to the conclusion that you had to be a certain type of bear to really carry off a moustache, and that pandas probably couldn't do great big handle bar ones but would suit cute little ones, and that koalas just can't have them. It would be wrong.
Brown bears can have them - they suit twisty ones but Eb pointed out, they would need to clean it otherwise the smell of fish would be really bad.
Through this strange and wonderful conversation I realised that the boys had a good understanding of the types of bears out there, where they come from and what they eat. None of this was text book based, although a couple of facts are yet to verified. It was silly talk, but truthful and insightful. I told them the history of the teddy bear (potted version, because they were moving onto whether dragons would eat crocodiles or vice versa.)
Mb even did some art and craft. He made his beloved bear a cardboard moustache, all held in place with brown parcel tape.
It was a good conversation.
4 comments:
I agree. A koala couldn't carry off a moustache. Not least because a koala is a marsupial mammal (with a pouch) and so probably wouldn't deign to look sideways at a bear. Koalas also don't seem to have a whole lot of etiquette. The first thing a baby koala eats is its mother’s poo! Apparently this involves having the right sort of bacteria to digest all those stick-in-the-throat Eucalypt leaves.
Er, sorry about all that, I have had a relevant design job on recently. Anything you need to know about invertebrates?
Lolol! What a conversation :D
Tania - There is LOTS I want to know about Invertebrates! I am currently reading "Life in the Undergrowth" by the legend David Attenborough. Also, slightly blushing about koalas now, as I was the one who said they were bears, and Eb said they weren't. Off to go and eat humble pie....the poop thing may distract him from his victory dance.
that was a great conversation, and i am glad you shared it. we should put together a book that contains real questions kids ask, and not questions that are strangely tied to national curriculum targets. contributions from over here include 'can fish talk?' and 'do birds have knees?'
Post a Comment