Monday, 8 June 2009

we made this



Ok, so DH made most of it, but I am extremely proud. I will admit that we had really bad weather the other day and did half expect to see it in next door's garden but DH assures me it is well built and the cemented in supports will hold up.

So far (and I am really tempting fate here) no one has taken it upon themselves to climb out of the window and on to the roof. I have threatened them with dismantling it if I catch any one attempting this. I know they will though, probably when Crazy Nanny is in charge, because she makes sugar sandwiches for breakfast and lets them watch unsuitable films that give them nightmares.

I should point out that the initial plan was to put the existing wendy house on stilts but this turned out to be unfeasible and highly dangerous, so we went down a more time consuming route and built this one using some bought and some donated feather board.

It is rather lovely to sit in, the wind moves the branches of the leyllandi tree against the outside of the house and the window looks out over tree tops, it's all very rain forest canopy (and also really not!) Next time I am up there I will take a view picture and post it here.

Fully paid up members of the Tree House Appreciation Society? I think so.

4 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

wow, that's a bit fabulous!

Tania said...

Your post is an extremely timely one - we were just debating yesterday the notion of wendy houses on stilts, etc (I was having flashbacks of plaster casts and TOO MUCH dare devil activity!)

mamacrow said...

oh WOW! I'm so ENVIOUS, I've ALWAYS wanted a tree house. we don't even have a garden, let alone a tree *sob*

kelly said...

Thanks for the comments. It is rather fabulous :)

Tania - we found the wendy house too complicated, it was easier (and cheaper) to build one from scratch in the end. If you are looking for inspiration, here is a good link:
http://www.buildeazy.com/house_property_makeover/treehouse_10_07_p3.html

Mamacrow - You are formally invited to bring your brood over and come play in the house :)