DH came home from work last night, offering me and the children a visit to Cambridge for the day. Delighted, I googled cambridge and came up with a whole host of places to visit. Cambridge has three museums on one street. This alone makes it a perfect HE destination.
We are driving there. This is fine. It will take 2 hours and 40 minutes (thank you multimap) this is also fine, I have ways to entertain children and Shrek will just sleep so no problem there. We have to be there for 9 a.m.
So we need to leave at 6 a.m. OK, well, they are early risers, so as long as every thing is organised we can have breakfast on the go, and they can always sleep if they need to in the car....still fine.
We need to go on the M25 and last time it took him four hours. Hmmmm. Four hours in the car, on a warm day with posibbly hungry children. Ok, well I will take snacks, we will cope.
DH actually needs to go by train as the place he is going to is nearer the train station and you cannot drive through the city centre. This will cost £174. WHAT? A two and a half hour train journey....we would be cheaper flying.
I have already packed the bag of necessaries, and wasted the entire evening getting prepared for an outing that we now not getting to go on.
He gets up late this morning, leaves at 7.30 am and gets on the train at 8.30. He calls me on the way there to let me know that with a family rail card it would cost £98 and he didn't think but if we had gone by car I could have dropped him off etc. He is now the man with all the solutions. Argh.
4 comments:
oh that's a shame :( We're about an hour and a bit from Cambridge now, must get organised to go to some of those museums ourselves.
oh hun I'm sorry :(
Oh don't worry. We actually had a fun and productive day at home and his train home was delayed so he was late home.
rats. cambridge is a grand day out. the park and ride scheme is a must, but it is (mostly) straightforward to navigate. and here's hoping you have another chance.
Post a Comment