Tuesday, 2 December 2008

The perils of a dancing snowman

I now know I want to home educate all of my children. This is not based on what is best for their educational needs, it is based on the fact that I cannot make a dancing snowman costume for EB. I am confused anyway, as it was supposed to be the nativity play, and as far as I am aware there were no snowman in Bethlehem....but I am only a parent so who am I to comment?

The other thing that bugs me is the oneupmanship that goes on with the whole costume thing. Who cares if you bought your darling child's shepherd costume from M&S rather than Asda? Or the other extreme, that you have survived on 2 hours sleep for the past week as you have been up sewing the most elaborate angel costume known to man, all in an attempt to make your darling child stand out from the 15 other angels.

My son knows how to make himself stand out anyway, he did it last year when he had the prestigious role of innkeeper. He sat and stared out of the window for the whole performance, looked faintly bored throughout and didn't bother to even stand up to deliver his one and only line, just cast a raised eyebrow at the audience and said "no room". This is a whole eight words shorter than what the script said, but I feel he made his point!

1 comment:

Emma said...

That is one thing I certainly don't miss from the time at school. All the pressure to conform and for your child not to be the odd one out. I also hated the playground cliques too with the other mums. Half the time when they spoke to me it sounded so false.

Sounds like EB had the right idea last year lol!

In Ellie's one and only nativity in Reception class she was an angel and all the kids had to sit on benches on a tiered stage and she sat there the whole time with her legs open flashing her knickers to all and sundry!!! Got the video to prove it and am sure we will get it out for her 18th birthday lol!!