I was reading this blog (with a very similar name to mine) a couple of days ago, and I noticed that the author is not very keen on plastic. I didn't really think about it too much before now because I count myself as a "good" person who recycles their plastics and who re-uses her bags and has a weekly veg box delivered by these kind people in a cardboard box.
As I was tidying up before bed, I had a look round and realised that actually we have plastic every where. In fact, I would go as far to say that 90% of my kids toys are plastic. That night I went to bed with plastic guilt (normally it's-eaten-too-much-chocolate-guilt.) I was in a dilemma. Do I chuck out the plastic right now, thereby filling up a mini landfill all of our own or do I keep to the plastic we have, try not to buy any more and live with existing guilt?
The latter won out, although I have had a bit of a purge and freecycled some items away so we are probably down by at least 10% (I write this as though I have sat here doing serious calculations, but humour me please.)
I spoke to the kids about it over breakfast and Eb and Mb nodded sagely, until they realised that Lego is plastic and that is what they spend any money that comes their way on, that and Playmobil and there is no way that they are going to stop buying it. We reach a compromise. Lego and Playmobil are allowed, as they are much loved and will last generations. If all else fails we can make a house out of it like James May.
I realise that this is going to be a big challenge for us. I am ashamed to admit that I rather love some of our plastic. I am also feeling a little bit of concern as Od navigates her way round this and this Etsy shop, brightly confirming that she can of course live without plastic. I just hope she doesn't show the boys this one.
3 comments:
Lego sooo doesn't count as plastic ;o)
When Squirt was born, and I had discovered ebay, I happily bought wooden baby toys wherever possible. A couple of the teethers were so fabulous I found it hard to pass them on! But the rest sat there, lonely and ignored.
Lego, Bionicle, star wars figures, power rangers, transformers - we've got them all, and that's what the boys play with.
My only hope is that some of our crap was actually my brothers' crap, so it last a long time ;-)
Well, :), before you chuck out the playmobile and legos, realize that there is quite a bit of plastic in your computer! And in your car. And some on your bicycles. And in your refrigerator, and on/in your stove, televisions, radios, stereo, on all your wiring... :)
I don't like it much, either. But I don't know how to make a laptop out of dirt....
Post a Comment