- Going to the Pitt Rivers Museum and the attached to the Natural History Museum.
- Being warmly welcomed by the staff.
- Each child given a wind up torch to view the vast array of things in glass cabinets in the exciting dimmed lighting.
- Having one member of staff per child assisting them on the mouse hunt, and telling them fascinating stories about the artifacts along the way, whilst I sat down in a chair (as offered by another member of staff) and watched.
- Most beautiful museum building I've been in. Architecture makes me happy.
- Signs that say "Please Touch".
- Shrunken Heads, complete with a how-to instruction panel.
Bad Day:
- Going to the Ashmolean Museum.
- Having the children sternly told to walk and keep their hands to themselves when they were already doing both.
- Getting in a lift with a member of museum staff to be told the "Home Ed bunch are worse than the Autistic lot" and that "children should be forced to go to school and this freedom home educated children have isn't good for them in the long run."
- Getting arrested for assaulting the member of staff (not really, but I was itching to poke her in the eye.) I did get my own back on the way out, when a poor chap stopped and asked me to take five minutes to fill in his visitor satisfaction questionnaire. Ha!
What is interesting is that the Ashmolean is huge, recently refurbished and modernly crisp but with a distinct lack of child friendliness about it.
Pitt Rivers and the NHM are much smaller even when combined but stuffed to the brim with touchy feely things as well as drawers that the children were encouraged to open and nosey in. They also had staff that positively brimmed with enthusiasm and knowledge, instead of cold fish children haters. The last one makes a huge difference.
7 comments:
right. that's thrown down the gauntlet. the pitt rivers was always my favourite place. the gritlets have not yet visited. we will visit both. and i hope the same museum staff is on duty.
I'm sort of speechless. Unusual for a Myrtle or Eunice type. The Pitt Rivers was always a standout fave for me and, should I happen by your neck of the woods, I shall go out of my way to boycott the Ashmolean. So, ner.
How bizarre. Have been meaning to take the kids to the Ashmolean since it reopened, and now not sure whether to feel like Grit or Tania!
I've always loved the University Museum and the Pitt Rivers, and have always had really nice times there with the kids too. Such a beautiful building :)
I almost went that day, sorry to miss you! But how rude of that staff member. We always enjoy the Ashmolean, the staff have always been very polite. Hazel could look at the Egyptian jewlery for hours!
Kieran loves the Pitts River museum--he can't get enough of the place. And I don't think it's just because he gets his own torch! ;)
Thanks for your comments people. It didn't ruin the day but if any of you do visit, I would like to hear what your feedback is.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I can't stand museums and other places of education that are not "kid" friendly.
"Getting in a lift with a member of museum staff to be told the "Home Ed bunch are worse than the Autistic lot""
Oh dear, one more case of rampant opinionitus verbalis diarrheaus.
I hold you entirely responsible for the coffee (Italian, very strong, very HOT) in my nose with the arrested/eye poke line which made me giggle.
Any views on the Science Museum in London ?
I'm thinking of taking Son of Thor there next time we come over, but since it means giving up precious shopping time (it is a fallacy that Italy is a clothes shopping paradise) I'll take any reviews of it (and the alternatives) that I can get.
Sarah, British HEing mum to a mini Italian nationalist in deepest, darkest Lomellina
Post a Comment