Some of us had things to do and places to go. I wasn't one of them so I got to watch the comings and goings in scabby jeans and messy hair. Think I definitely scared the postman this morning.
There was gymnastics for OD, first one back this term. She loved it and has signed up to Thursday class as well (ho hum, more money spent.) She collected conkers on the way home.
Husband and MB went to a nature event at our local woodland to hunt for spiders. Husband was surprised at how hard it was to find a spider in the woods (?) this does come from a man who struggles to find his socks (sock drawer or odd sock bag.) When he did finally find one he nearly ate it by accident, which would have traumatised the arachnid enthusiasts in attendance. MB had a great time and came back with a pom-pom spider and a slightly humbled father. He is not keen on spiders so was a bit timid, whereas the teeny tiny lady there with her grand daughter was scooping up big hairy giants without a moments' hesitation.
That left EB, Shrek and I at home together. I had plans. There was sleeping to be done, and reading and eating of lovely fresh bread. EB had other ideas which involved making a motorised crane from Meccanno. Good bye sleep, book and bread. Hello THREE hours of torture, trying not to swear and general confusion.
The instructions come with an exploded view diagram of what you need to do, and I think they assume some technical knowledge. Meccanno was not designed for allan key wielding mothers with babies who want to chew the washers. We tried hard, EB got the bits ready for each stage and I attempted to build, but we had to go back a step several times because I had screwed on a teeny tiny bolt the wrong way, and this would completely bugger up the crane five stages down the list. Gah.
I sweated, I can tell you. There were moments when Shrek and EB lost interest and went out for a bounce on the trampoline, and I was left going cross eyed and crazy with these fiddly little components. After reaching the pen-ultimate stage, I realised that I had put a cog the wrong way round and would probably have to start again. The options were to weep or eat biscuits, so EB being the most chilled out of children, opted for biscuits. (I did a little bit of weeping.)
As we speak, Husband is sitting at the table trying to right my wrongs, so that EB has a working crane tomorrow.
1 comment:
I hate instruction sets like that, that don't tell you what you really need to know until it's too late.
Post a Comment