Tuesday, 29 September 2009

this is not an angry post

I did start a really fizzingly angry post about the government, their obsessions with controlling each and every one of us etc. Then I had to stop writing to cook tea, and as I cooked, I watched the kids in the garden.

I had two extra children today, friends of OD. I watched all six of them (even Shrek got in on it) playing together. They were out in the unexpectedly warm September sun. Just playing. All the other children that live on this street were in classrooms, and I felt sorry for them. I'm sure most of their mums feel sorry for me most of the time. I know a couple of them think we've all lost the plot. It doesn't help that the kids currently try to get in the car without treading on cracks - we have a brick driveway, which makes for some peculiar walking styles.

Childhood is so fleeting, so precious. I want to make it last as long as possible for mine. Don't mistake this for wrapping in cotton wool. They are aware that not every one is nice and that there are dangers in the world, but they also know that at home, they are safe from these things, that they can forget about them for a while.

I watched them playing, all giggles, shrieks and yells. I don't want them to lose this special opportunity to be children. I don't want to worry about outcomes, objectives and planning. Getting angry mad in my little house won't make any difference though, which is why I have signed this petition, and will spend a few evenings carefully wording a swear-free response to this consultation.

4 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

good for you, sounds like you've got a reasonably balanced perspective on it all atm.

I do find the sunshine helps though :)

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

I took the kids to the Hillier Gardens in Romsey today--far too sunny to sit around thinking about the Badman! Nothing is better than seeing your kids outdoors and having fun in the sunshine!

Maire said...

Good luck with the swear free bit, the hardest bit of all I find. Love the image I now have of your kids avoiding the cracks in a brick paved driveway, lol.

Tania said...

Sod it. You are a better woman than I! I'm coming over all foot-stampy and kick-things. In which case I am so pleased it is you who is writing the letters of diplomacy. Hang in there, Mrs.