Saturday, 14 February 2009

The Torture Continues...

...Yes, I have been a home educating whirl this week, cruel beast that I am.

We have been looking at types of weather (and doing mother proud when OD explained weather systems and the rain cycle to a bunch of family elders. I even got told how much more she is learning at home than in school by relatives :)

This was fun! We did our own weather forecasts, making up silly weather man names, and catchphrases, but also accurate in terminology and understanding of it.

We started on Greek Myths, prompted by the arrival of my recent book splurge, which included a mini series on the aforementioned. We started with Arachna the Spider Woman, and used a mind map afterwards to plot the story out, with a good deal of success, may I add.

Also, a big whoppee and thank you to the nice people at Bananas! and their delivery man arrived on Friday at 8.10 am in the middle of a blizzard. I could have kissed him as the contents of the parcel meant all three big kids were kept busy whilst the snow continued to fall.

You remember the last big box that was in this house and the entertainment we got from it? Well, MB nabbed this not so big box and turned it into his very own baby car - Shrek was pushed around in real style - sparkly green pipe cleaners for wiper blades, and shiny silver card stuck on the side for windows.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Well done everyone! Those cardboard boxes are the best pressie of all ;)

mamacrow said...

sounds completely fab to me - not tortuous at all!

Grit said...

oh no ... i just clicked through to bananas ... now i will cut back on food to increase the book budget ... what bargains!

kelly said...

No, it wasn't really torture as some people seem to think HE is.

Bananas is very cool. Also, they sent me a couple of wrong books by accident so I phoned them and nicely let them know and they said that they would get the correct ones out to me asap - and to KEEP the other ones as the cost of return post makes it not worth sending them back!! Double bargain!!