The buildings behind our house are being demolished at the moment, as we speak in fact.
They are a sad little bunch of buildings made out of breeze blocks, asbestos, concrete and other unidentifiable materials (we are not allowed to get on the site to investigate further and nor would we want to - as I said asbestos.) There are several heavy plant machines out there, not just your standard digger, but a rock chewing machine that gets filled up with chunks at one end and then spews crumbly stuff at the other.
Needless to say, the kids are enthralled. Even OD who is not by her nature overly interested in machinery, can't help popping up to our bedroom for the grand stand view. We have named some of the workmen, there is "Ghost man" who wears white overalls and masks all day long - I think he is the poor sucker working on clearing the asbestos. There is "The Boss" who pops in every so often in his nice shiny car and a few others who are miscellaneous but do include "Orange Helmet" of which I think there are a few.
The Construction books have been unearthed from the back of the book case to enable proper identification, and I have personally mourned the death of a little tree that got ripped out alongside every thing else (I had plans to rescue the tree.)
There was an exciting moment when a wall got knocked down and made the things on the stairs windowsill vibrate noisily and I worried about the foundations of the house for a minute. Then there was the added interest of watching the machines in the snow....and the timing of tea breaks - there are many.
It's like a TV series, every morning the kids wake up and wonder what the next exciting installment will be....like I said, it's better than TV!
1 comment:
wow! am jealous! Papacrow (who's worked on a few construction/distruction sites,) says the ghost man IS most likely dealing with asbestos. you also have to wear those suits for fireproof painting on the joists, interestingly.
Post a Comment