In preparation for an exhibition we are going to in a fortnights time, I am doing some research in to the works of Matisse. Armed with the Usborne Introduction to Art - which is about my level of understanding, I am going to try and pick up some interesting facts to pass on when we are there so I look intelligent in front of the curator. This has nothing to do with educating my child obviously. I am slightly concerned that in a book with 144 pages you are only mentioned on three of them and only two of show examples of your work. The other page tells of your paintings being forged so doesn't count.
So, Matisse. you were French. You studied law but gave up to become an artist. You were the leader of the Fauve group. Marvellous, now I just need to hop over to Wikipedia to see what that is. French for wild beasts. This is may be why the group was shortlived - three years to be precise.
I am struggling, Matisse, to be honest. The Usborne book hopefully isn't doing you justice. There is one bit that appeals though, and that is a quote from you saying art should be comforting "like a good armchair." I am all for arm chair art, as hopefully it won't create awkward moments like the last exhibition, where OD was gagging at the sight of a half buried mackeral that was modern art.
3 comments:
wikipedia ia usually my first stop too. then i go down the library and remove any book from the shelf holding the desired information. after mugging up like this, i pretend i know about it all and ask the curator for an explanation suitable for children. i echo everything they say and nod my head sagely. this strategy has so far worked and i have only been unmasked as a fraud maybe two dozen times. good strike rate.
Have you checked the Heinemann Library books at the library? They do books on differnet painters-so it could be a quick way for you to all learn a bit about them. The kids may also like the 'Katie meets..' books. Makes the paintings seem more 'real'.
I'm with OD on modern art!
Grit - thank you for your comment. As long as MB doesn't repeat his "I can do this" comment from the last visit, I don't mind.
Elizabeth - I will visit the library and seek out your recommendations.
Post a Comment