Monday, 9 February 2009

The more I think about it....

The more I am confused. I am doing a fair amount of personal research regarding this new consultation. I am still quite new to the HE fold (I will still be saying that in 15 years, you wait.) So, I am cautious in flinging my opinion about too much when there is so much already out there from far more experienced people. Then again, if I really believed that things were better left to those with more experience, I wouldn't be home educating in the first place.

I was listening to Radio 5 this morning. It was a phone in about child abuse. I listened to some of it but not all because a project on the weather was beckoning. Child line have reported an all time high in calls related to sexual abuse from children aged as young as 7 years old. The debate was whether there is more abuse now, or if children are just more aware of what is happening to them and where they can go to for support. It made me think that depressing revelations like this are what has caused the government to hold this consultation....although I still can't fathom why home education is taking the hit....

I have tried many searches on google and others, nothing. There is nothing that immediately springs forth that directly links home education and abuse. Type in child abuse UK and you get a plethora of information. Most of it news articles about how the children have been let down by the system that is supposed to protect them, the system that includes school, social services and local authorities. Am I being a stupid newbie to suggest that may be the government should sort out their own malfunctioning system before interfering with home educators?

4 comments:

mamacrow said...

hear hear hear hear hear hear hear!

kelly said...

thank you - not really comfortable with commenting too much about the consultation as i said but at the same time I want to stand up and be counted.

Lisa said...

I've worked in the system and it rubbish (to be polite) so I left cos I couldn't stand it anymore!

Lisa x

lotusbirther said...

I agree, it is difficult to make a firm stand. We are a new home educating family too and I never thought I would EVER get political, but this harassment from Govt just makes my blood boil and I want to shout about it from the rooftops to raise awareness now of how the wool is being pulled over our collective eyes.