Way back at the beginning, when we had only just put away the school uniforms (not given away, because it was all an experiment and I was scared, scared, scared.) I thought I knew what home education would look like. It would be school. At home.
Now it doesn't look any thing like that. It looks more like weekend living only all the time. We potter. We poke at the earth and the iced over puddles, we talk to animals, we dress up, we dress down and we go out dressed up (and down in my case.)
I recently got asked whether my children had done any work recently. I answered yes, because although it took me a while to realise, the work of childhood is play....hardly an original concept and one that's been repeated over and over but one that is still ignored again and again.
So, for me, it's been learning to let go of the mainstream path that I always thought we would go down, and embrace the twisting, turning route of following your passions.
3 comments:
we are not home edding till sept 2013 but my 10 year old spent the day with me after a bad nights sleep and i found myself wondering if we had done enough. i reminded myself we had completed the maths and english task set by school, worked on the allotment and talked about why the frost made the earth hard, what would happen if we left weed routs in the ground and many other things, watched a program on wild animals and spent time together! Thats how i want our home ed days of the future to be.... thanks for the post and perfect timing!!
I clicked over from my friend Debbie's site (Plot Fifty-Five)... and I'm so glad I did.
It's lovely to meet you.
I love what you say here, so peaceful and clear. And yes, work as play, play as work. I'm all for it. :)
thanks Pip - sounds to me like you had done enough :)
Stacy - welcome - and Plot 55 is one of my favourite blogs to visit too.
Post a Comment