Monday, 9 January 2012

making crystals and getting stuck in the chimney

Those are the two things that I remember most about today.

Making crystals. This must be a top home educating activity....there can't be many of you out there that haven't had a stab at this. It's a simple enough thing to do, you get a jar with some warm water in it and stir in some salt, hang a paperclip into the solution for a few days, and you should end up with some crystals. If you want more precise instructions, then click here.

I assisted with this activity whilst transporting our collection of puzzles and board games to a new location half way up the stairs (we have this strange, large, deep shelf that I think must have been the hay loft opening when the house was still a barn. It was a nature shelf but I think we will use it better as a games cubby)

As I was going back and forth, back and forth, I kept on shouting encouragement "one more stir!" or "add more salt". After much stirring and a little spilling, we were able to put the jar and its precious contents on a shelf for observation, and a small notebook was made to record any developments.

I have tried crystal making before, and it didn't work. That time I used balsamic vinegar, which I think was a mistake.

The second event was all my own doing. We have a fireplace that serves no purpose. It is huge, at least five foot along and easily three foot deep and I can just about stand in it. There is no fire in the fireplace, so we've used it as storage. It was once neat, ordered storage but it had become somewhere I had been scared to go so I decided today was a good day to tackle it.

Half way through my emptying I realised that I had barricaded myself inside the chimney, with no means of escape. I had been emptying it by building a wall of stuff that completely covered the entrance to where I was....clearly not very well thought out on my part. One child was nearby but busy with the Roman Empire on a PC. I called to him for help and he dutifully ignored me.

Twenty minutes went by.

My daughter brought me a coffee. She had heard me calling and thought that was what I wanted. "Help me" sounds like "Coffee" a little bit I suppose, but I am not given to randomly shouting out the things I require like Father Jack. I would have at least said please. After she had excavated a gap in which to pass me the cup, she then cleared a path for my escape. I've got a small idea of what it is like to pothole, and I'm fairly confident I won't want to try it out for real.

I have awarded myself a gold star for not getting claustrophobic. I have taken away the gold star because I must be a very bad mother that not one of my offspring missed me or wondered where I was the whole time I was stuck in there.

3 comments:

globeonmytable said...

I locked myself out of the house in the dark in the rain...No amount of banging at the front door or throwing stone after stone at my 14 year old's window got his attention. Gaming plus headphones is a bad combination. Luckily a neighbour helped me out.

Fantastic that your daughter guessed "coffee", how therapeutic! This story gives a whole new twist to 'painting yourself into a corner'.

Pip said...

lol.... i'm sorry but that really made me giggle!!! And the thought of a child bringing you coffee cos they thought you were shouting "COFFEE!!" I wonder if that would work if I shout "TEA" at mine lol!!

Stephanie said...

:) I can picture a cup of coffee coming through... then running off.
Glad you were rescued!