I got the comment "You've got your hands full there!" As the kids and I flitted about the coastal path in a nearby town. I smiled and agreed, and carried on.
I know it's a myth.
With children, I have found the more you have, the less work it can be. I have to do regular head counts, and have taken to checking every one is in the car at the end of the track before we hit the proper road. Mainly because it takes us ages to all get in the car and some one is always popping in and out as they remember their hat/ scarf/ book/ cuddly toy......so I like to check.
When there are six of you in the family, there is always a good chance that some one else will want to play what you are playing. There is strength in numbers in this way. Of course, if you want to do some thing alone, then there is equally a chance that at least one person is going to come up and ask what you are doing, and can they do it too? Please?
There is an abundance of hand me down toys. I see Lb playing with the same wooden trucks that Od had. Mb has a cuddly toy fetish, and so Od has offloaded a large part of her unwanted collection to him. Eb hoards lego but will share it out amongst his siblings if they promise to play properly. In Lb's case this means solemnly swearing not to hide the small bits in play doh or worse, down your pants.
It is this abundance of toys that has got me thinking about Christmas, which is after all only seven weeks away.
Here is my thinking (and this really is a brain dump, so may not make sense.)
I don't like piles of presents for the sake of piles of presents. One of the best gifts my kids got last year was a cheap set of funny glasses, I've seen them laying about or on a face nearly every week since. I want to get gifts that will be loved, or be useful and yes, maybe educational too.
I've been thinking about the things we do the most, and they boil down to lego, play doh and making things. We already have plenty of lego, we make our own play doh and the craft cupboard is full to overflowing with supplies. We have enough scrap paper, fabric, glue, paint, pens, pencils, pastels, crayons and glitter to see us through the next six months, that's without going into the junk modelling bin.
I'd like to get some special, or different supplies, but I'm not sure where to start my search.
With four children, a large family who regularly give us there cast offs (all very much appreciated!) And a mother who tends to hoard things "Just in case", I am really struggling this year.
Eb has of course already started a list that is full of Lego and Playmobil, but I feel that apart from a couple of smaller sets, we have plenty of both of these. I mean, plenty. We have about five large plastic storage boxes of Lego and two of Playmobil.
Here is the crucial point.
We don't need any thing, and so spending money because it is Christmas and you have to just seems a bit, well, silly.
Now I sound like a Scrooge, and I'm not. I love Christmas. I love the Christmas feeling....and I enjoy all the activities that lead up to it.
I'm just stumped on the gifts this year.
7 comments:
What about memberships to fun places? Or goft certificates to fun places?
oh, i hear you on this one LOUD and clear. truly, we don't *Need* anything. Savannah would like a digital camera but that's about it for requests.
i'm really struggling with this too -- but am looking into gift certificates for activities and whatnot as a viable option...
With five children and five dogs if I had £1 for every time somebody said" You've got your hands full" I'd be a rich women.
Last year one of our friends bought us a years family pass for Bournemouth aquarium, one of the perks was that you could take in 16 other people over the year at half price. Is there any where near you like that? We went about 14 times during the year, the children never got bored of it because they seemed to see something new every time we went.
Glad it's not just me that gets 'you've got your hands full' 92 thousand times a day!
We love watching documentaries and cartoons and DVDs don't take up too much room. There's always room for one more book... and we're after money for music lessons, ballet equipment and and and...
We don't have a piano, and I saw a keyboard the other day... think one of those might make its way into our house. We have a much beloved 'toy' small one (it's really quite fabulous), but a larger scale one would be good.
Madd wants more barbie animals, so that will probably come. Trev? Games, I guess. He wants a web camera, so maybe one of those for him. (He wants to talk with the Cousins.)
I think I'd like a decent archery set for us, too! I also think a small aquarium for various bugs we catch... grasshoppers, praying mantis, caterpillars, etc might be nice. Our little bug catcher has a plastic viewing, and is old and scratched, and you can hardly see through it!
Hopefully we'll get inspired! :)
Thank you for the ideas...I think the Bug catcher/ viewer would be a great idea for Mb. We had a cheap one but it was hazy at best. I've also been looking at curious minds - they have some seriously cool kits!
One of the best presents eldest received was a magazine subscription. She looked forward to her NG Kids magazine dropping through the letter box each week. We also went for music lessons. I love these kinds of presents as they don't clutter the house, don't break, last all year and need no batteries. I'm toying (pun totally intended) with giving them seeds for a themed garden each. That would spread out over the year and be educational.
Post a Comment