So, we are supposed to have found a house by now.
We haven't.
There has been looking, and thinking and a whole lot of imagining but still no house.
I have been packing away a lot of stuff, which has led to the children being ever more imaginative with the limited amount of things they have available.
I found Mb wearing light up bunny ears and a bin liner the other day - it was an improvised bat man outfit.
I know we live in an era of "less is more" but really, honestly... I struggle.
When I am making or creating some thing (oh, how I long for those times,) I need to be surrounded by things that inspire me - some times it means hauling out the fabric stores and emptying them out all over the kitchen, just to see. Ok, so I have been known to roll around a floor of fabric. Some people have fantasies of rolling in money. Me, it's art supplies and material.
I have always been addicted to good storage, which is also an excellent way of sneaking more stuff in the house without Mr Wah noticing. I like to have space, but I also like the comfort of knowing my things are but a basket/ trunk/ plastic crate away.
So it's been tricky, deciding which books to leave out, which to pack and which (argh! almost painful to write this) to give away. I have felt quite good about taking several bags and boxes of things to the local charity shop, and believe firmly in karma, as when I was at the charity shop I found some teeny tiny glass jars with lids that would be perfect for beads and a cute wooden toy dog kennel that makes excellent book storage (shhhh. Don't tell Mr.)
With this paring down of play things, the kids have made some tough decisions too. They've had to choose their most favourite things and then see their less favourites get packed away to storage. My biggest mistake so far? Letting Mb watch Toy Story III and then asking him to pack his cuddlies away in a big box for the attic.
He held a conference with them all, which I really wish I'd photographed, and explained what was going to happen, that he loved them all and would see them soon...in the end I caved and let him keep double the agreed amount. Still not sure I haven't been out smarted.
It's been a lesson in self though. To admit that I am a hoarder, and I love my hoard. I hate throwing any thing away until it has been used to it's last. I don't mind that it caused an argument between my dearest and I, as I patiently explained that we needed the five sacks of junk modelling materials I have been carefully saving in the garage - some of those plastic bottles are really uniquely shaped....I need them. I tried to keep the 60+ cardboard loo rolls, but Mr Wah was firm on that one. He said I could restart the collection as soon as we'd moved.
I am a hoarder of junk, of really useless artifacts.
I dearly wish I could lie and say otherwise.
I have recently had some lovely postal surprises which I dearly want to blog about, but until I can find the camera charger (tonight's mission) I can't, because the parcel is truly worth photos.
4 comments:
I'm definitely laughing. A bit manic, because I recognize myself. I hoard, I believe in Karma and I too would be holding conferences with toys.
Half of me wishing you had found your charger in time to take the photos, including the bat man outfit. The other half thinks that it is probably best that you didn't!
Happy packing.
I weep for the number of books I've had to give away in my various moves, and my husband weeps for the amount of junk I have scattered about the house, so I'm nodding, sagely ;-)
Good luck finding somewhere new - hope it all goes smoothly!
I am so fussy when it comes to houses I despair of ever moving! We too have a LOT of books, far too many really, but it is very hard to choose any to get rid of, infact I usually manage to bring at least one or more new ones in a week. I am a bit harder on other stuff, its my dh that hoards! Lots of luck finding your next home, I hope its soon. Looking forward to the pics too!
LOL...best of luck in your home search...i can't imagine a more agonizing venture at this point!!
i have a love-hate thing with clutter -- i, too, adore my 'stuff' but i can't stand disastrous mess so occasionally i go on a ruthless mission to purge us of our extraneous crap. and oh my, we accumulate that so quickly. i've decided to become very firm with myself whenever i want to bring something into the house. sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
i can so appreciate this post!!
Post a Comment