Wednesday, 2 February 2011

happy day of february

In my last post I said we were taking things easier.

We are.

It just won't look like it in this post, because I took the time to document the whole day from breakfast to bedtime.

Ready? It goes like this:

We got up, ate breakfast and talked and thought about friends and family in Australia who would be facing Yasi in the next few hours.

After a pause to thank our lucky stars, we moved on to what needed to be done. Od had a riding lesson (so obviously the activity she was not going to give up) and we were also tackling her pony's coat today, which is coming out in handfuls, so I knew there would be a few hours spent outside and wanted the boys to think about what they would like to take up the yard before we get to the put-your-shoes-on stage.

So before we left the house, there was maths (angles for Od) and number ordering (Eb) and fractions (Mb) and random number shouting (Shrek).

Some little notes of encouragement (I don't actually know what these are about and have forgotten to ask.)
Pom-poms.
The making of little green mice - Mb is reading Moon Zoom, and some how, some how, he always manages to con me into making a character from nearly every book we read.


Every little green mouse needs a nemeses, enter Queen POD...she lives in the toy microwave, which makes an excellent evil lair.


Guinea Pig cleaning and love: (The house was purposely placed by the words "the best" because he is obviously, the best.)


The making of a puppet. A puppet that was loved...possibly a little bit too much - it's head fell off.



The start of some thing fun:


Then we departed for the stables, with the boys bringing walkie-talkies, scooters and the perfect Big Foot stand-in:
Home.

Caking making and decorating for Mb:


He counted the elephants on each and every one. We all got five, he got twelve on his one.


Mancala tournament - we all had a turn, but Shrek is apparently a little frustrating to play with:


Mastermind - Shrek plays this too, although his version of the game is to copy the pattern I make, and then I copy a pattern he makes.

Uno!


We listened to Bigtoe Books whilst we cooked and ate tea - because we are all addicted to the current read: Terry Pratchet's 'A Hat Full of Sky' (If you're quick you can catch up!)

The Little Encyclopedia of Seas and Oceans

A last final check on the Aussies.

Bed.

6 comments:

julie said...

sounds like a wonderful day - a sample of a wonderful life!

Stephanie said...

Yup. Sounds about right. :)

liz said...

Sounds like a busy and fun day was had by all. I love the green mouse, and the buns look so yummy! Thanks for the link to Bigtoe books, I haven't listened for a while and had totally missed this one. The kids have loved listening and can't wait for the last part tomorrow!

Jessica said...

Somedays it seems there is little done, but when you think about it there has been so much going on you wonder how you managed it all.Sounds like a pleasant and fun day though:)

Appleshoe said...

What a wonderful day. I love Green Mouse, Queen Pod and her evil lair.. BTW I did not forget about you. The teeth came back in the mail yesterday. I'm resending them today and putting something else in the package to make up for the delay, but it's a surprise. Take care.

Grit said...

an impressive list of day achievements! it's nice to be reminded of ordinary home ed days.

we are not doing that well... today i have hidden in my bedroom, caught up on blogs, taken a time away from the travelling aunt, and i can hear bangings and crashings on the roof. the latter bit for which i am an optimist, and calling an education.