Tuesday, 28 September 2010

science tuesday :: heat.

This week's topic came about as a result of a conversation over the weekend.

We put the heating on for the first time this year. Brrr. We discussed the heating system, and Mr WAH (new name, because I always felt odd writing "my husband" seemed a bit regal) explained how the radiators worked - which led nicely to convection heat and all it's excitment.

Whilst the children ate lunch I read out the two pages about heat in First Fun:Science Encyclopedia.

I'm never sure if this is a good idea, as I think the reading bit could turn them off the subject so I keep it short and sweet unless I get asked lots of questions. We talked about types of heat, what we use to make heat and we went round the table, naming things that could be hot, cold or both.

Then we did the experiments.

Firstly, body temperature:

We talked about how bodies generate heat, how layering traps heat and how shivering helps us when we're cold. Then we took our temperatures. A nice, healthy 36.7 across the group, thank you very much.

Then we watched ice cubes melt, Od was very concerned about making this a fair and controlled experiment (she learnt about this a while ago and never, ever forgot it!)

We had one in a bowl, untouched, one with hot water added to it and lastly, one with hot water underneath it in a mug:

Before we did the experiment, we all placed bets over which one would melt first. No prizes for guessing the results...(can you see my jar of origami stars in the background holding up the timer?)

Then we did this slightly odd experiment where you place butter on a selection of spoons and then a frozen pea onto the butter (we used Hama beads because I was out of peas, worked just fine.) Then we placed all the spoons - wooden, plastic and metal into a jug of hot water and watched to see what happened.

A good way to prove that metal conducts heat, wood doesn't and plastic does a little bit.


We played with melting objects in a safe (online) environment here.

I have to be honest; this wasn't as thrilling as some of the other science projects we've done in the past but the kids loved it. Long after I'd got bored of watching ice cubes melt, they were still there with the timer, mesmerised (except for Mb who looks thoroughly bored in this picture!)


This is a topic with endless possibilities, like this rubber bands and heat experiment, and I think we will probably return to it again in the future.

Some of us, however, were not amused when not allowed to stick their hands in hot water:

More heat experiments here.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love your science posts. I'm going to replicate the three spoon experiment.

I wish my origami stars looked so good. They never seem to puff properly for me.

kelly said...

hi Cheryl

Mine never puffed properly too - the secret is to make sure the paper is tight at the knotting stage, then keep the paper taught as you fold. Also, when I'm puffing, I hold the paper by the edges otherwise they cave in the middle.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

denise said...

Fun! We love experiments too ... and sometimes the ones where I am like, oh, this is dull, sorry guys just happen to be the ones that enrapture them! Who knew. ;)

Anonymous said...

The spoon thing is such a great idea- simple is always best! We've lost our way with science-type activities, we've bogged ourselves down with maths and literacy games, in the rare moments we're at home with no distractions! Will try injecting some science fun into our lives!