We don't unschool, we don't do school at home, we do our own thing.
I've said this many, many times before on this blog so I won't go into the million and one little and big reasons why we do what we do on this occasion.
Instead, I want to talk a little bit (I know, it's a little weird that I consider my blog a conversation) about how educating alternatively has spilled out in to living alternatively.
I think that once you start questioning the normal accepted processes such as schools and schooling, it naturally bleeds and seeps into other areas of your life.
A few years ago, I planned to have three children, all in full time education, whilst I took up a little job part time somewhere and we lived out our days in the town we are currently living in. We would have a goodly income with nice holidays and sensible footwear.
Now, as we hurtle to the two year home education mark, I can see how far from that path we have veered. There are four children. No one goes to school, I have the hardest and most fulfilling job I could have, we are permanently skint, holiday in a retro at best, dilapidated at worst caravan and shoes are either wellies or sandals. Usually wellies when it is sandal weather and vice versa.
Then there is the location bit. We have spent four years in this house and they have been for the most part very joyous, with the odd bit of drama thrown in. We did plan to move to Wales and buy a small holding to continue our journey into weirdness in a more private environment. That could still happen one day.
But not right now.
Husband came home from work not so long ago and told us that he had been offered the chance to relocate to America for a two year contract. As he told me the details I could see myself in the parallel universe. Children in school, me in employment...and a move like that being out of the question.
So I said yes. We will move.
Details are still fuzzy, and nothing is confirmed but the very fact that my gut told me to say yes rather than a straight out no made me realise how far I have come in personal growth. Old me would have been suspicious, frightened and very unsure. New me is all those things but still able to say "So What? It will be an adventure."
Personal growth or candidate for a mental breakdown?
You decide.
6 comments:
What a wonderful opportunity for you all-all home educators dream--travelling and exploring a new country! Yes, this is an alternative way of life, but a great one! What part of the States?
Oh, wow! Sad that you won't be moving to Wales (yet, anyway) :( But the chance to live in America for a while - I'd jump at that. Three cheers for your gut, I say :D
Sam x
(And are personal growth and mental breakdown mutually exclusive then? Oops!)
You are amazing and I admire your way of life! I wish I were brave enough to join you!! ....maybe some day I will.....
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!
i think it is a tremendous opportunity! we know from watching our kids that the immediate physical location is hugely important to them; being able to spill around the house and garden in private space was one thing that kept everyone sane in the uk. we tried to replicate that here in hk. (...as you can see, it hasn't worked yet so there's obviously more to this moving lark than i thought!)
but if i discover any brilliant wisdoms about relocations, you can be sure i'll be singing them out!
congratulations!! :D what an adventure!
i can assure you that there are plenty of other adventurers here in the u.s. who have the same footwear issues. :D
Post a Comment