Monday, 13 September 2010

days in, days out.

Life is topsy turvy at the moment for our family, and whilst I am trying hard to maintain some normalness and routine to our lives, the constant disappearance and reappearance of their Father is unsettling the children more than I would like to admit.

It really isn't his fault, he hasn't taken up a career as a magician.

Work for him is presently intense and every thing he is currently doing is to provide a simpler, more secure, happy future for us all. We made a deal a few months ago that six months of crazy was a fair price to pay for several years of togetherness. He is really the one paying the biggest price, as he is the one who is not privy to our daily goings on and daring do's. I know he feels it, sitting in his five star hotel in some distant exotic location, discussing teeny tiny bits of electronics.

But argh.

There are times when the six months of crazy seems like a hugely unfair price to pay. Even I am sick of hearing myself justify what is going on. I am so thankful that the kids don't have school, because when their Dad is around we can drop what we're doing and have some time together.
Weekends don't necesaarily have the same meaning that they used to, fortunately we can take our weekends on a Thursday and Friday if we would rather. Even this has its confusing moments though, as the rest of the world still operates on a more conventional timetable it pays no mind to our little bubble.

We are three months in.

Half way through and right in the eye of the storm.

I can see the future all sparkly on the horizon, I just need to work out how to navigate towards it.

1 comment:

Sam said...

You'll be out the otherside before you know it. And it sounds like the end result will be worth all the heartache :-)

We have a confusing life here, as Rob works various shifts for 6 days out of 10. I rarely know which day it is, and I'm pulling a routine, inch by inch, out of thin air.

Sam x