Sunday, 26 April 2009

Rushes and thrushes

Phew. The past few days have been manic. I organised an event (yes, me!) at a local wildlife reserve. I spent the night before in a nervous sweat over whether it would be a success. Lucky for me the lady at the reserve was a pro and every thing ran smoothly. I was pleased/ surprised at the people it drew out. A lot of HE people I had never previously seen were there. New people, yay!

The highlight of the day? Apart from EB and MB hitting each other with dinosaur bones when the lady wasn't looking, the rather nice coffee and the plaster of paris - we got to make fossils out of plaster of paris I tell you, which was all rather fantastic. The highlight was this:
This is a Herons nest. What you cannot see is that this is at the top of a tall tree, and looks like it will come down at any given moment. I always think Herons look like their bodies are balanced on precariously skinny legs, and now I see that so are their nests.

We rushed back from this to eat tea and prepare EB for his investment (strange choice of words from the Scouting movement there) to Beavers. We briefed him on what is and is not appropriate - the use of the word "bum" at any time for example, but we need not have worried, he behaved like an Angel.

Saturday was football, a trip to town to get new shoes and clothes for EB - I delegated this to OH with frightening results. £62.00 spent on an array of clothing items, none of which match. I picked up OD from a sleepover, ran to gymnastics and then home again to make tea and then out to watch a local HE drama group in a rather fantastic performance.

Sunday all I wanted was a lie in after a manic couple of days. Not so. Shrek awoke with a mouthful of white yuckiness, having been restless in the night. I spend the morning at the local Outpatients Clinic, just managing not to scream and avoiding the child with measles who wanted to share her biscuit with us. He has Thrush. Nurse said he is in a lot of pain, and he must have kept me up all night. I admit he only murmured. She gives me a look that says "you ignored him and carried on sleeping, didn't you?" Not true! I wanted to shout but decided to keep quiet in order to get out as quickly as possible.

EB then has a St George's Day parade with the Beavers, so we watch him march past. He is so proud to be there, so thrilled that they have stopped traffic.

Now I am thinking about next week, cancelling/ re-arranging plans in order to give Shrek (and me) some recuperation time. In my next post I will be unveiling the human body as you've never seen it before.....brace yourselves (and avert your eyes if you're at all queasy!)

No comments: